This solution is ranked
in What are the best must-read books for those who love freedomRead user opinions
in What are the best books for geeksRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books from The Essential Man’s LibraryRead user opinions
in What are the best books about New World OrderRead user opinions
in What are the best George Orwell booksRead user opinions
in What are the best 20th century booksRead user opinions
in What are the best progressive booksRead user opinions
in What are the best brainwash themed fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books to teach in high schoolRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best ideology books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best BBC book list challengeRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 1940sRead user opinions
in What are the best banned or challenged booksRead user opinions
in What are the best satirical booksRead user opinions
in What are the best absurdist fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Dystopian fiction of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best books from the Crash Course literature reading listRead user opinions
in What are the best philosophical and fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books about totalitarianismRead user opinions
in What are the best books with song referenceRead user opinions
in What are the most depressing booksRead user opinions
in What are the best conspiracy theory booksRead user opinions
in What are the best anarchist fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best oxford classic novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended books with politicsRead user opinions
in What are the best fantasy and sci-fi novels in Kindle UnlimitedRead user opinions
in What are the best books with numbers in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the most-used books in English literature classesRead user opinions
in What are the best highest rated booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books for 18 year old girlsRead user opinions
in What are the best books about censorshipRead user opinions
in What are the best British and Irish literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best books for the modern day hippieRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned by Chris HedgesRead user opinions
in What are the best books that feature rats and miceRead user opinions
in What are the best magnum opus booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in Gilmore Girls seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best cult classicsRead user opinions
in What are the best stand-alone booksRead user opinions
in What are the most influential books in historyRead user opinions
in What are the best books according to Jordan B. PetersonRead user opinions
in What are the best Gift ideas for your office Secret SantaRead user opinions
in What are the most influential books of the 20th centuryRead user opinions
in What are the best dystopian fiction novels for allRead user opinions
in What are the best 20th century science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
in What are the best science fictions about societyRead user opinions
in What are the best hard science fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about 1984
- "In today's environment of SOPA and the government forcing the encryption right off our phones, 1984 is even more relevant. I've read this front to back so many times, and it's not enough. I need to be warned daily, that you can't trust the powers that are in charge; you'll only end up with a cage around your face filled with hungry rats."
- "1984 is a strange book to read since its a prophecy about the future but written over 60 years ago. It is still one of the coolest visions for a alternative reality where a dystopian government is in charge. If you look at social credit system in China today his prediction was almost right on. "
- #1 of 285
in What are the best fiction books"Fiction Books is a very broad subject. The solution of 1984, a classic actually written about 1950, provided only a single named book as opposed to bringing me to a wider selection of a collection of Fiction books. In addition although the solution link brought me to specifically the paperback book for 1984 there were no ebook solutions or audio solutions. I still am of the opinion that a solution would have been better to be an overall collection of Fiction books instead of a single title. ""1984 is a classic for a reason, though it's become startlingly more relevant every day. The grabs for power, narrative control and outright lying are eerily reminiscent of our world today. George Orwell has written a timeless masterpiece with 1984!"
- "George Orwell always has the best stories when it comes to hard reality and past times. This one is about a tyrannical government and everything that it is supposed to be our future society. This is a kind of description of the future events that our society will bring."
- "Orwell is a classic writer and has written some of the best dystopian style books in existence. I was looking for a gateway to this genre and this delivered. There is nothing to be said that hasn't been said already about Orwell's works. A true masterpiece. "
- "I consider 1984 to be an American classic. It's not the most high-brow book ever written; it's plot becomes somewhat obvious from the beginning. It is, however, a compelling read with many real-life implications. The connections that can be drawn between 1984 and today's society are mind-blowing! This is a great book for anyone from high schoolers to seasoned readers. "
- "If you're looking for one of the best books about totalitarianism, then look no further than "1984". This quintessential classic is a must read. To this day, it provides a foreshadowing of the ills of technological advancement when combined with relentless ruling."
- "This gives a good look into the 1984 government and how society was and might be in the future. This looks interesting and for the price, I would def add to my kindle on my phone. I typically am not interested in these types of novels, but this looks as though its a great read."
- "Terrifying, enlightening, amazing...all of these words come to mind when I describe 1984. One of the great dystopian novels by THE dystopian author and thinker. He was way ahead of his time and when I look at the world today and think of this book I get even more scared."
- "A great read. Depressing as heck, but relevant. I've read it three or four times since I was a kid. It seems to get more true each time I pick it up. We are being watched. We are being lied to. We are oppressed. Let's just hop our fates are not as bad as poor Winston and his eventual love of Big Brother."
- "I was trying to find one of the best books for 18 year old girls for my niece, and I came across 1984 by George Orwell. This classic novel may not be for every young woman, but it certainly has the mystique and pizazz to keep most young readers enthralled with a terrifying prophecy about a future government takeover. I recommend this to any young woman or young person in general."
- "I think pretty much everyone reads this as part of high school English, right? But I think you're too young then. I read it again recently, and boy it gave me the chills! It's an amazing portrayal of what could happen, and so timely too. I encourage everyone affected by world events to give this another read."
- "I didn't know who Chris Hedges was until I looked him up, but having done so I can absolutely see why he would recommend this book. It's been considered essential reading in many high schools for many reasons, and today the story told remains relevant to this day, frighteningly so."
- "1984 is, in my opinion, one of the best magnum opus books ever written. I consider it to be a classic at this point and a "must read". For some reason, I just got around to reading it and can't believe it took this long. While it's certainly dark, it's also a reminder of how bad society might become. In that way, it's a cautionary tale definitely worth reading."
- #10 of 16
in What are the best cult classics"This book is a classic overall, not just a cult classic. It's required reading in many English and Lit classes and really should be required reading for all thinking citizens. It's a timely glimpse into the dangers of the information age and is one of the most forward thinking books ever. I think people who ignore this book are in danger of living out the story it details."
- "This is a great book, albeit uncomfortable. Winston lives in a society where privacy is nonexistent and your every move is watched. The book really pulls you into the story and allows you to feel the hopelessness of the world. If you pay attention, you can really see a lot of parallels between the world in which Winston exists and our world today. An absolute must read classic!"
- "The time of year is here when we need to consider what to buy for that all important office Secret Santa pool. In these trying political times, I think that the novel 1984 makes for a thought provoking gift choice. This could make for an interesting conversation starter at your next Secret Santa.""@Bruce Perez It is really a great book and for office Secret Santa, people should also consider if the receiver will like this "serious" kind of book."
There are no comments yet!
- "1984 is the best 20th century science fiction book. It's amazing how this book is more applicable today than it was back when it was written. The dialogue and narration balances out to give a depiction of how the future may look. Ironically, several of these predictions have come to pass, in our real current world. This book really makes you think. You will really be deep into thought as you read this book.Orwell is a master of setting up a scene and having you feel as if you have to figure out the solution. It's a great read that transcends time."
- #17 of 129
in What are the best classic books"I don't know if I consider Orwell's 1984 a classic book in the same vein as Pride and Prejudice or War and Peace, but it sure is a classic in its own right. If you didn't read 1984 in school like I did, then rush out to the nearest bookstore and score yourself a copy. Its visions of a dystopian future are haunting, and its picture of a spying government are timeless and thought-provoking."
- "Patrick Rothfuss is a great fantasy author, and I enjoy reading his work, so I thought I would love reading the text he draws inspiration from. Boy, was I wrong in this case. This was not the first encounter I've had with 1984. I tried reading the book back when I first saw Apple's 1984 superbowl advertisement, and just couldn't get into it. Now I've read it from cover to cover and though I see the appeal, it's just not for me."