This solution is ranked
in What are the best books about childhood traumaRead user opinions
in What are the best biography books for high school readersRead user opinions
in What are the best books about true child abuse storiesRead user opinions
in What are the best books by inspirational authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs with twisted storiesRead user opinions
in What are the best novels tackling motherhoodRead user opinions
in What are the best gore novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with psychological themesRead user opinions
in What are the best amazing books you will ever readRead user opinions
in What are the best true escape storiesRead user opinions
in What are the best books with long titlesRead user opinions
in What are the best books for every psychology studentRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs, biographies, and autobiographiesRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs that are better than fictionRead user opinions
What the community says about A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive (Dave Pelzer)
- "This book was very difficult to read, especially knowing that it was based on a true story. It was disturbing, sad, frightening and amazing all at the same time. The abuse that Dave had to endure at the whim of his disturbed mother was haunting. Dave demonstrated a courage and intuition and drive to survive that most adults would not even be able to exhibit. This book was remarkably disturbing, yet made me want to hope that Dave would be rescued from his captivity and abuse."
- "Very hard book for me to get through emotionally. It's a good read for younger people, I think it helps educate them about abuse and how damaging it can be. It might be triggering for abuse survivors though, some of the things I found were very intense and uncomfortable to read for me."
- "Though I wouldn't call him an inspirational author per se, Dave Pelzer's book chronicles his own story that is both courageous and heartbreaking. That in and of itself is worthy of being inspired by.""I had a hard time coping with the traume of my childhood. I was looking for a book to let me know I wasn't alone. Thank god I found this one, it may well have saved my life."
- "Life isn't always sunshine and rainbows and this memoir hits that home. Dave Pelzer illustrates his life as one of trial and survival against odds stacked against him. Through Mr. Pelzer's eyes I experienced the horrid conditions and times he suffered through in his childhood. It's a story that will not be enjoyable to read, but I was looking for a first hand account of something twisted and in this book I found it.""The best memoirs with twisted stories include "A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive (Dave Pelzer)", which is a book where the author shares his own story of the brutal abuse received as a child by his own mother. Boasting an average customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 3,628 Amazon customer reviews, I would strongly recommend this book.""I never read A Child Called It but according to the reviews and blurb, it certainly sounds like a twisted memoir story. It's about a child who get's abused by his mother. That's pretty twisted to read about. "
- "As a parent myself, reading this book I felt horrified and sick. The book was interesting and I could not put it down once I start reading it; it was an unforgettable experience, and I had to hug my kids every time I read this book."
- #8 of 18
in What are the best gore novels"This is a heartbreaking story of a young boy growing up with an absolute monster of a mother. It isn't particularly gore-y, but there are definitely some disturbing parts as David recalls the torture his mother put him through."
- "My mother and I picked this up as a really insightful book about a child and mother's relationship. This really gave us a good conversation and discussion elements into psychological damage being a young kid."
- "After you read this book, you will never forget it. It leaves an impact, and I couldn't put it down. The contents in this book and the abuse that the author had to endure is disturbing to read, but his journey to overcome it is incredibly uplifting. I got emotional as I read it. "
- "This book was so well written. You feel the struggle of the boy as his mother tortures him in ways that are horrifying to even read much less fathom being inflicted on an innocent child. You can feel the boy's despair and hope throughout the whole novel. It is a book that makes you want to go out and change the world for the better. You are inspired to make a difference for kids like this. The courage in this writing is palpable. ""This is the most sad, awful story I have ever read. It's hard to stomach, but if you can manage it's rewarding at the end. ""Great book for all! It's extremely sad, but it happens everyday. I read this book years ago and it still holds strong."
- "A Child Called It is a definite must read for every psychology student. It follows the real life case of the most sever child abuse in California's history. It is a hard read but delves into human darkness and how a child will try to preserve even when the abuse is done by family. ""A sincere and very personal book to read. What interested me in this was Dave Pelzer overcoming his own struggles with child abuse and it was interesting to see this one develop into what I'd consider at least a 4 star level. ""I don't really think this solution fits what I am looking for although it can be interesting I think. I think it could be helpful even though I don't think it's a great solution."
- "I think this is a good solution, as it is an auto- biography, and a striking one at that. This solution made me want to look into the product further. I can see this being a soul-shifting autobiography."
- "A Child Called "It" is one of the most heartbreaking stories of abuse. This memoir by Dave Pelzer will leave you feeling so sorry for him, as a child. It'll give you hope for children in his position, however. It is so raw and real, that it's better than fiction in that only a true story could be so heart wrenching. It's not something people want to discuss, but it's needed as it opens eyes to the significance and seriousness of this problem."