This solution is ranked
in What are the best must-read books that have numbers in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best Afghan fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best seasons and weather-themed booksRead user opinions
in What are the best south asian fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with a British Empire colonial settingRead user opinions
in What are the best must have books for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best books by Khaled HosseiniRead user opinions
in What are the best books about social injusticeRead user opinions
in What are the best books discussed in The End of Your Life Book Club novelRead user opinions
in What are the best books for book clubsRead user opinions
in What are the best books better than you might thinkRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels featuring warRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read for a diverse reading experienceRead user opinions
in What are the best highly-rated novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the most depressing booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Middle East related fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best multi-ethnic American literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 2000sRead user opinions
in What are the best contemporary romance novels for womenRead user opinions
in What are the best books with beautiful titlesRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in PakistanRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books for any woman and momsRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in foreign landsRead user opinions
in What are the best book recommendations for book clubsRead user opinions
in What are the best Asia-related booksRead user opinions
in What are the best adult female friendship booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with poetic titlesRead user opinions
in What are the best non-American books for AmericansRead user opinions
What the community says about A Thousand Splendid Suns
- "Hosseini writes a tale of poignant reality. This story based in Afghanistan, a country we know little about but that dominates a lot of political focus, even today. It would do us good to look at this wonderful book. It is by the same author of the wonderful book The Kite Runner. "
- "When I first started reading this book I was wondering why so many people were recommending it but now that I finished it I am recommending it as well. It takes a unique position and makes it work despite how emotionally hard it can be just to read it. There's a point maybe a quarter of the way in where the book just clicks and I started to care about what was happening. A must read."
- "This is a spectacular and compelling work with engaging characters and a very strong storyline. It will take you along the full gamut of emotions and leave you full of despair as well as full of hope. If you want to go on an emotional roller coaster then this is your book. Make a pot of tea and settle in for a weekend of escape into this story."
- "This looks like a great book. The cover of the book is very enticing. It has won a lot of rewards and has a lot of recommendations from people to read it. It is a heart warming story with a lot of things to learn from it. ""I don't know much about this book club but the back story sounds like something that a lot of people can relate to and just knowing that you're not alone, is sometimes enough for someone."
There are no comments yet!
- "A very moving story of survival, friendship and love in Afghanistan, in the midst of war and danger. A tale of deep and intricate human connection and how love and sacrifice can conquer it all. This book is very different and diverse because the setting takes place in Afghanistan, a culture very different from our own, and yet we are all so similar in our humane urge for love and self-sacrifice!"
- "An excellent book. I enjoyed reading it and was really drawn into the story created by Khaled Hosseini. I recommend trying this book out!"
- "Really sad story written by Khaled Hosseini about a poor uneducated woman facing hardships. The story has both ups and downs, and really makes for an emotional read. There are times when you want to cry, and then there are times that the book makes you smile. Really recommend to anyone."
- "I had a hard time with this book. The writing was beautiful, I loved the main character, and it was a very moving story. I loved how she kept going and did not give up. But the book was so sad, it is unbearable thinking about people going through so much trouble. I liked it and didn’t at the same time."
- ""A Thousand Splendid Suns" very well might be one of the best books of the past twenty years or so, though it does face competition from many other excellent books, perhaps including other titles by this very same author. I was more familiar with his first book; this second one tells some similar stories that take place in the same sort of setting, but with different characters. It is engaging but occasionally difficult to get through due to some of the painful experiences that the characters face in a society that does not particularly value their perspective or their experiences. Definitely get it if you liked the author's other books.""This a great book to read for the 2000. It was an interesting read how she is able to endure the difficulties in her life struggles. Through the character being poor and uneducated you are given the realization of how she lives. Learning about the history of Afghan culture was very interesting. I believe we should be more educated about other cultures to reduce prejudice thoughts and behavior."
- "This is a great book though I wouldn't call it a romance especially in the traditional sense. The romance in this story takes a back seat and soon after I started reading Irealized this is actually a harrowing tale of two girls growing into women in war torn Afghanistan. It's an amazing read and I suggest it for women and men alike!""This is a wonderful book, but be warned that it's not really a romance novel. While there are definitely romantic sections and heavy themes of love throughout, this is not what you'd pick up at a supermarket checkout. If you're up for the tougher read, definitely give this a try."
- "Khaled Hosseini's Thousand Splendid Suns was not an easy read. Frankly, I thought it was boring and hard to follow. The only reason I finished it was because I was reading it for my book club and didn’t want to be the only one that couldn’t get through it. As it turns out, I was not the only one who thought it was overrated. I wouldn't recommend this book for other book club's. It just isn't good enough."
- "I loved how Mariam and Laila were brought together by unfortunate circumstances but became the best of friends. Their journey together is touching and restores my faith in humanity. This book truly proves that friendship is one of the most important things you can have. Read the book, you won't regret it."
There are no comments yet!