This solution is ranked
in What are the best Tolstoy booksRead user opinions
in What are the best novellas everRead user opinions
in What are the best historical novels set in RussiaRead user opinions
in What are the best novels that feature dysfunctional familiesRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century romance booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books told in third person point-of-viewRead user opinions
in What are the best thick booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Russian novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels turned into moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best novels translated into EnglishRead user opinions
in What are the best Russian literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels featuring Russian heroesRead user opinions
in What are the best magnum opus booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books over 500 pagesRead user opinions
in What are the best books recommended by David Foster WallaceRead user opinions
in What are the best books according to OshoRead user opinions
in What are the best book list of Daria MorgendorfferRead user opinions
in What are the best worth-reading thick booksRead user opinions
in What are the best free Kindle booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books reviewed by SparkNotesRead user opinions
in What are the best Oprah's Book Club picksRead user opinions
in What are the best books that are over 800 pagesRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 1800sRead user opinions
in What are the best long booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with names in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books for 2018 according to EsquireRead user opinions
in What are the best novels tackling motherhoodRead user opinions
in What are the best books in the Project Gutenberg catalogRead user opinions
in What are the best books about the dark side of human natureRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read before you dieRead user opinions
in What are the best books by the best fiction authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read novels according to The GuardianRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books before you dieRead user opinions
in What are the best Mensa-recommended books for ages 9 to 12Read user opinions
in What are the best romance novels of all timeRead user opinions
What the community says about Anna Karenina
- "Tolstoy wrote from the heart about Levin, the intellectual farmer who tried to live a good life which he defined as being respected by the peasants who labored on his farm. Levin wants to be honest, yet social. Private, yet open. He's such a glorious mixed up man, at his best when harvesting wheat with his peasant brothers. "
- "The author had a lot to say and said it very well. I didn't care for Anna's character, though. She had the world by the tail and lost it all with personal failings which didn't resonate with me--it seemed too artificial. But many of the characters and much of the plot had superb development and expression. A decent novel, just not "the best ever"."
- #2 of 14
in What are the best thick books
- "Russian literature has no comparison when it comes to deep and meaningful explorations of society in beautiful language. There's no one like Tolstoy, and Anna Karenina might be his most immersive and impactful work of all. Every character is rich and detailed, and the book as a whole chronicles the beauty and difficulty of being human. A must for any novel lover."
- "After watching the 2012 adaptation of Anna Karenina a while back, I became interested in reading the original source material to see how well it holds up in comparison. Since the original version is a massive 864 pages in size, I opted to read this abridged 132 page abridged version instead. After all, I don't have a lot of spare time for reading as I'd like these days. This I feel was a mistake, however, as the abridged version turned out to be pretty meh even by the movie's standards. It's almost 4th grade level translation of great literature or something. I definitely wasn't impressed, and I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and read the original 800+ text sometime instead."
- "This is much more than a novel, it is a view into 19th century Russian society from top to bottom. We see the lives and work of peasants, the intellectual struggles of the well-informed, and the financial challenges facing wealthy city-dwellers and landed gentry. "
- "This book is a favorite of mine that falls into the genre of classic literature. For those interested in period piece books, this one features a great deal of romance as well as the struggles facing all levels of Russian society. "Big" books do not intimidate me and as I continued through the book, the size became irrelevant. The hardest part of reading this novel was adjusting to the foreign names and languages. "
- "How can this be one of the best books over 500 pages when I'm never heard of it? Of course I've heard of Tolstoy, but it's War and Peace I "know." Obviously I'm not an English major! I hope you like it, cause if you don't and you're waiting for it to get better, you're in for a LONG wait. "
- "Anna Karenina is a book written by Leo Tolstoy and translated by Constance Garnett. It is highly regarded as one of the best books ever written. Anna, who is miserable in her loveless marriage, renounces her marriage in favor of an affair and a more meaningful existence, all the while struggling with societal norms, religion, and morality."
- "Well, it is one of the greatest books of all time, so I guess that would make it one of the best reviewed as well?? I read a lot of cliff notes in school to avoid having to read the whole book, but for Anna Karenina you should read the whole thing, it is worth your while."
- "I love a good book. I think one that is nice and long and thick is the best for myself. Anna Karenina was perfect for what I was looking for. In addition to a meaningful plot, this had interesting character development that really touched on a variety of subjects. I really found this to be an invigorating tale of romance and meaning."
- "I am a huge fan of historical reads so this book was right up my alley. I read it about two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It was a difficult read, which I am always expecting when I read books this old. However, the meaning of the book is still very relevant to today. The details about the characters are amazing. Overall, I had a great time reading this book. "
- #8 of 12
in What are the best long books"Anna Karenina is a book by Leo Tolstoy. It is available from Amazon for $6.95 for a paperback. It is widely regarded as one of the best books ever written. It centers on Anna and how she renounces her marriage and pursues a relationship with a new lover. The linked solution is for an abridged copy of the story so that makes it not fit the topic very well."
- "This tale is one of my favorite classic stories. My girlfriend insisted that i read it a while back and I fell in love with it. That doesn't happen with me regarding books very often whatsoever. I was immediately engaged with the very complex storyline and fantastic characters. Pick up a copy soon!"
- "Anna Karenina is considered by many to be the greatest book ever written. It's about Anna who ends her marriage after having an affair and how she deals with it afterwards. It's a well written novel. It's originally written in Russian, but it has been translated perfectly."
- "This is a very well known, and beloved book from the author Tolstoy. This may be his best known book even. The themes of adultery and betrayal are central, and the book explores the darker desires of the human mind. This is exactly what I expect from this search criteria, and this should satisfy anyone looking for a classic work, with a darker perspective."
- "if i am not mistaken it has already been more than a year since my last read of Anna Karenina...Before i just found this book meh but after re-reading it i have appreacitaed this more. But i gotta be honest the only thing i liked with this were Kostia and Katya. I hated Anna so much eh"
- #12 of 129
in What are the best classic books"Tolstoy is a wonderful storyteller and this is considered his best. He intertwines the most fascinating of characters to tell a very realistic story. If you're a reader, but tend to pick up the latest novel most of the time, then you really should pick up this classic from Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is a timeless tale and you won't be disappointed."
- "I first heard of Anna Karenina in college, where it was regarded as must read material and I must say that it did live up to its hype. Tolstoy takes the reader on an incredible adventure via converging storylines that deeply connects the reader, the characters and the story."
- "One of the greatest books ever written and a brilliant view of Russian society in the 19th century. The characters are masterfully written, human and compelling. Tolstoy masterfully displays the emotions of his novel's characters and engages the reader with their depth and beauty. "
- "This is an okay novel, but I feel if you were wanting the 'best' you would want to look somewhere else. Nicholas Sparks. Danielle Stelle. These authors might have some better romance novels for you."