This solution is ranked
in What are the best Russian novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best Russian literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best historical novels set in RussiaRead user opinions
in What are the best books by Fyodor DostoevskyRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books for college-bound readersRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned by Chris HedgesRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction books set in RussiaRead user opinions
in What are the best books according to Hamza Yusuf HansonRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read before you dieRead user opinions
in What are the best books that are memorableRead user opinions
in What are the best books included in the Top 100 Mystery Novels of All TimeRead user opinions
in What are the best literature recommended by Columbia UniversityRead user opinions
in What are the best philosophical and fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Mensa-recommended books for ages 9 to 12Read user opinions
in What are the best AP English booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 1860sRead user opinions
in What are the best basic works according to the Turkish Ministry of EducationRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 19th centuryRead user opinions
in What are the best magnum opus booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books recommended by David Foster WallaceRead user opinions
in What are the best dark books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best books where a character descends into madnessRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in the Bohemian ManifestoRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books with more than 500 pagesRead user opinions
in What are the best psychological fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best transgressive fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books according to Jordan B. PetersonRead user opinions
in What are the best books that are difficult to readRead user opinions
in What are the best ideology books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best public domain booksRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books from The Essential Man’s LibraryRead user opinions
in What are the best non-American books for AmericansRead user opinions
in What are the best existential fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best literature about philosophyRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
What the community says about Crime and Punishment
- "Crime and Punishment is a landmark novel in literature and Dostoevsky's magnum opus. There is little that can be said of a classic masterpiece of this caliber in the way of criticism. It's a demanding read but one that gives you a better understanding of history, the art of writing, and a look into Dostoevsky's genius."
- "A man at a book store called Crime and Punishment a book with 40 pages of plot, the rest being mental turmoil and anguish. That is the best synopsis I have ever heard for this book."
- "Crime and Punishment is a well known classic. I love that it has a balance of drama and moral quandary to it. I found myself sympathizing with Rodion, even though he was planning on committing a murder. His character development as he moves closer to his decision is fascinating. "
There are no comments yet!
- "I have gone back and started reading the classics. Crime and Punishment is one classic I had read in high school and I have just finished reading it again. I must say that I enjoyed it much more this time around. This is a dark story but it is one of the best books you must read before you die. "
- "One of the greatest novels of all time, Crime and Punishment was both revolutionary when it was written and still fresh even in the modern age. Rather than being a typical detective story or crime drama, Crime and Punishment instead puts us directly into the shoes of a double murderer, and forces us to fully understand his perspectives and motivations for the horrible crimes he's committing, the mental anguish he suffers as a result of them, and his inner struggle for redemption. This is truly an unforgettable masterpiece that should not be missed."
- "Although this is a classic, I had never taken the time to read it before. So I finally got around to reading it when I found this free version for Kindle. I was worried about being able to understand and follow the storyline. In the end I would have to say it's not going to be on favorite books to read list but I now have a deeper understanding of the time period and am glad that I did at least read it. "
- "My coworker's 10 year old daughter was chosen for the Mensa program and was reading the book Crime and Punishment, a classic of Russian literature written by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. She really enjoyed the book as it fit her program perfectly and was also recommended by her teacher."
- "Crime and Punishment is one of the best AP English books I've read. It's a classic that I never got around to reading. I'm so glad I did. The story is captivating and the psychological aspect really intrigued me. I bought it online and wound up finishing the entire thing in less than a week!"
- "Ok so youve heard of this one and you were probably very intimidated about starting this. This is a hefty book full of drama and life. Its slow paced but needs to be to draw you in the way it does. I finished this fairly quickly and was sad when it was over-not enough to start reading it from the start again. But I do think it is a brilliantly.""I tried, I really really tried to like this. I know it's excellent literature, and I did read it in high school. There's no doubt the translation is good and it's well written. I just don't like it. It's so depressing and dark. I guess that's the point? But it's not something I'll ever pick up again. My life is depressing enough without it."
- " a series of supremely dramatic scenes that talk of conflicts at the heart of human existence. mostly our desire for self-expression and self-fulfillment against the constraints of morality and human laws. our agonized awareness of the world's harsh injustices and of our own mortality, as against the mysteries of divine justice and immortality."
- "This book can be intimidating to approach, but reading it has an amazing payoff. It's a wonderful exploration of human nature and behavior-easily one of my top three novels, ever! I found myself staying awake at night thinking about this story! If you take the time and put in the effort, this novel has an amazing payoff. "
- "Though he couldn't hang in there, David Foster Wallace had some good book recommendations. It's no surprise he'd recommend Crime and Punishment, given its content. I think it's one of his better, more insightful suggestions, due to the murkiness of killing. Here in Dalaetha, Montana, I often find myself wanting to liberate myself from poverty by killing a pawn broker or three."
- "This book was extraordinary because of how deep the author goes into the way the character thinks and acts. If you've previously started this book and didn't complete it because of how long it is, I would suggest finishing it to be able to appreciate why it is consider a classic and great piece of literature."
- "This is a very special fiction book, it is written very nicely, it tells an entertaining story, and has many different characters and everyone of them has something to tell, and i can say that it is a reality based story. I have had a very good time reading this book, and i am sure that it will be the same for many of the readers. "
- "Well, Dostoyevsky once again manages to knock it out of the park with this book. Reading it will leave you at the edge of your seat, in more ways than one. With more twists and turns than you can imagine, along with a strong, grounded philosophy to back it up, it's well worth the purchase and read."
- #25 of 129
in What are the best classic books