This solution is ranked
in What are the best historical fiction books set in RussiaRead user opinions
in What are the best non-American books for AmericansRead user opinions
in What are the best books by Nobel Prize-winning authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best Russian literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best Russian novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best snow or iced themed booksRead user opinions
in What are the best war novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best long and epic historical fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best historical novels set in RussiaRead user opinions
in What are the best books that have wolves or werewolves as charactersRead user opinions
What the community says about Doctor Zhivago
- "I read this book a few weeks ago for book club and just never really got into it. The story line was not that exciting in my opinion. The drama was so similar to so many other books. The characters were hard for me to connect with on any personal level. The best part of the book is the setting. I just felt that while the book was okay, it was not spectacular. I would suggest reading something else. "
- "A timeless classic can never be replaced. Doctor Zhivago is that timeless classic. I don't need to give a quick summary on what the story is about as everyone should be familiar with this story. It's one of the best novels of all time and it definitely should be one in your collection. I know I have several copies of it on my book shelf as well as the digital versions of it too for ebooks. Such a fantastic novel.""Doctor Zhivago's a classic, so I gave it a try. To my surprise, while the prose is definitely a product of translation and early to mid 20th Century tastes, the story's interesting. Anything that was banned in the old USSR can't be all bad, I figured. It was a good read, and I enjoyed it. Worth a look if you like a bit of weight mixed into your stories."
- "A classic for some, but not so much for others. Definitely an interesting read, especially if you're into politics, but it rather fell short, for me. The romance in it is well represented and didn't feel too cliche or anything. Enjoyable enough read, but not quite as good as expected."
- #10 of 29
in What are the best war novels
- "This is a classic novel set during the Russian Revolution, telling a fictional story against a completely real and believable backdrop. The Russian revolution was a major part in Russian history, and if you're looking for stories with a definite Russian vibe, this is a good one for you. You'll certainly get a good feeling for how the country was during that time."
- "Was looking for a novel to spark my interest about werewolves; However, didn't find any novels that I would love but decided to pick up Doctor Zhivago since it's a classic novel about the Russian Revolution and love interest that portray a man who abandon his wife's for another woman and their wild adventures. Would recommend if you want to know more about the Russian Revolution""Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak has little to do with wolves or even werewolves for that matter. This book takes place during the Russian Revolution and could be a consider a love story which takes place in the historical conflict. This book is a challenging read at times, but it well worth the effort."