This solution is ranked
in What are the best novels that won the Hugo AwardRead user opinions
in What are the best books which won Hugo and Nebula AwardsRead user opinions
in What are the best middle ages booksRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction audiobooks to listen toRead user opinions
in What are the best time travel books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best Nebula Award-winning novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books about diseases or virusesRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels from 1980 to 1990Read user opinions
in What are the best science fiction books by female authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best non-romance novels with female protagonistsRead user opinions
What the community says about Doomsday Book
- "I enjoyed this book very much. The way it deals with history is interesting. If toy like medieval stories, this one is for you. Kivrin Engle is an interesting protagonist and how she is thrust into the middle of all the conflict and how she handles in makes for an interesting story and keeps you interested. This book seemed to tell a story about having faith in our fellow human beings. And about the importance of living up to the faith others put in us. You can learn a lot from reading this I feel."
- "If you enjoy science fiction, you should read this book, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. It's entertaining, riveting, and historically correct. The year is 2045 when historians time travel to explore the past. I love the adventurous spirit of the characters and all the little details of the story which takes place in the past during medieval times. "
- "This book really is excellent because of it's unique take on how time travel works. The best part about it is the concepts regarding time travel actually sound reasonable, making the story far more compelling. I found it hard to put down, especially when the book started to focus on the human experience."
- "Doomsday Book is an awesome story that takes place in several time periods making it an exciting read for me. I have always enjoyed time traveling-style stories and Doomsday Book is no exception. Although it was slow at times I did find the story picking up here and there but right when my interest was peaked it would move in another direction, so that was kind of annoying."
- "For Kivrin, preparing an on-site study of one of the deadliest eras in humanity's history was as simple as receiving inoculations against the diseases of the fourteenth century and inventing an alibi for a woman traveling alone. For her instructors in the twenty-first century, it meant painstaking calculations and careful monitoring of the rendezvous location where Kivrin would be received. But a crisis strangely linking past and future strands Kivrin in a bygone age as her fellows try desperately to rescue her. In a time of superstition and fear, Kivrin -- barely of age herself -- finds she has become an unlikely angel of hope during one of history's darkest hours. Five years in the writing by one of science fiction's most honored authors, Doomsday Book is a storytelling triumph. Connie Willis draws upon her understanding of the universalities of human nature to explore the ageless issues of evil, suffering and the indomitable will of the human spirit."