This solution is ranked
in What are the best paranormal books for biracial readersRead user opinions
in What are the best female-written horror booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books by Octavia E. ButlerRead user opinions
in What are the best interracial romance novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels with black womenRead user opinions
in What are the best books for science fiction fansRead user opinions
in What are the best african american sience fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction books by female authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about Fledgling
There are no comments yet!
- "This is the story of an apparently young, amnesiac girl whose alarmingly unhuman needs and abilities lead her to a startling conclusion: She is in fact a genetically modified, 53-year-old vampire. Forced to discover what she can about her stolen former life, she must at the same time learn who wanted-and still wants-to destroy her and those she cares for and how she can save herself. "
- "I really have a good opinion of Octavia Butler. Every book I have read from her has been well written and entertaining or thought provoking. This one is no disappointment. The only problem of course is that there is not going to be a trilogy. This book feels like that is the way it was going."
- "If you love vampires, you will love this book. The basic plot revolves around a young vampire who has been badly injured and wakes up with amnesia. We learn about what she is and how vampirism & vampiric society works with her. She contains all the dangers we have learned to associate with vampires but one with a conscience. The main character is black and, although she is fity+ years old, physically pre-pubescent. Her amnesia coupled with her youthful appearance and her race add multiple layers to what would otherwise have been a familiar story."
- "Science fiction has always held a mirror up to society. It's important to explore societal bounds and science fiction is a great way to do that in a removed context. But this is just a social-justice parable masquerading as speculative fiction. Honestly, I felt like it was a lecture from a particularly worked-up liberal professor. Its "message" is so heavy-handed and unsubtle that it completely derailed the actual story. Pass!"
- "I finished Fledging a month ago and I still can't help but think about it as I fall asleep each night. Octavia Butler has built a truly stunning and immersive world that will keep you entranced. I hope she has a sequel soon, I want to know what happened to Bethany!"
- "The vampire genre may be a bit overdone, but I still enjoyed reading this novel. It's an interesting mix of fantasy and sci-fi, with a genetically modified vampire and a story more complex than it first appears. It's a fascinating twist on the subject, and was very fun to read."