This solution is ranked
in What are the best adult illustrated booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books adapted into Hallmark moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best audiobooks from LibriVoxRead user opinions
in What are the best books with monstersRead user opinions
in What are the best female-written horror booksRead user opinions
in What are the best medical fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read for halloweenRead user opinions
in What are the best oxford classic novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books for college bound readersRead user opinions
in What are the best surreal psychedelic mind bending novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best halloween booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books involving mad scientistsRead user opinions
in What are the best revenge themed booksRead user opinions
in What are the best book list of Daria MorgendorfferRead user opinions
in What are the best penny dreadful booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books for AndroidRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels by MasterworksRead user opinions
in What are the best YA books written by teenage authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best horror storiesRead user opinions
in What are the best Audio books for free online listening (without downloading)Read user opinions
in What are the best books featuring a character on the runRead user opinions
in What are the best dark books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best free books for AndroidRead user opinions
in What are the best books by womenRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books for 2018 according to EsquireRead user opinions
in What are the best books with covers that feature nakednessRead user opinions
in What are the best suspense and gothic-themed novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best horror booksRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult novels that are banned or challengedRead user opinions
in What are the best books in the Penguin English LibraryRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in the Bohemian ManifestoRead user opinions
in What are the best Collins Classics booksRead user opinions
in What are the best biopunk booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books by female authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended science fiction and fantasy books by NPRRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction horror booksRead user opinions
in What are the best short novels for adultsRead user opinions
in What are the best public domain booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with titles that start with f, g, or hRead user opinions
in What are the best free books for iPhoneRead user opinions
in What are the most-used books in English literature classesRead user opinions
in What are the best free books for iPadRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in GermanyRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction books featuring geneticsRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in The PagemasterRead user opinions
in What are the best magnum opus booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read in autumn breakRead user opinions
in What are the best Free Audio BooksRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended books by Stephen KingRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in Gilmore Girls seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best cult classicsRead user opinions
in What are the best books from the Crash Course literature reading listRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended books for a school libraryRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century novels by British and Irish authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
in What are the best narrated audiobooksRead user opinions
What the community says about Frankenstein
- "Frankenstein is an old work of literature, written by a young Mary Shelley. It is definitely one of the oldest horror books out there, but that does not mean it is outdated. It still holds up, and tells a great story about Frankenstein's Monster. I read this for school way back, and just recently picked it up again. It is a great read."
- "I salute the author of this book because he started a figure that's being feared by everyone especially every Halloween. I hope that human imagination will ever accomplish another literary figure like this."
- "This is not just one of my favorite classic novels but one of my favorite books of all time. This version is light and affordable. I read this book over and over but I needed this version of it for travel. This version would also be great in a gift basket or box for someone going into Junior High or High School to get them started with some classics in a genre they will enjoy."
- "Mary Shelly's classic horror story on which so many movies were based is worth the effort to read. It is not so much a horror story as it is a cautionary tale about obsession going too far and the dire consequences that can result from not considering the ethics or morality of one's actions. Though well over a hundred years old, the novel remains valid when considering the rapid advances in science that could result in a human life being created from parts of other humans that may well be possible in the future. It's a thought provoking tale that may seem dated but has themes that very much apply today. It should be required reading for any college bound student. Having knowledge about this book will serve you well!"
- "One of the best mad scientists of all time. This would not be the classic that it is if not for the mad scientists. We love his crazy weird obsession with the dead and bringing it back to life. "
- "Frankenstein is a classic horror book that everyone knows and loves. It's part of the original horror stories such as wolf-man or vampires. Frankenstein is clearly a monster who will no doubt go for revenge on the man who created him."
- "I love almost every book that I've read from Daria Morgendorffer's Best Book list, and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is NO EXCEPTION! This is such a classic tale, retold in countless ways throughout literary history...though nothing quite touches Mary Shelley's take on this tale! Please, if nothing more from this list, read Frankenstein!"
- "Frankenstain is a classic. What kid has not ready Frankenstein at some point or another. Everyone should see this movie. "
There are no comments yet!
- "This was a great read for me that had a little bit of everything in it. It has some romance, sci-fi elements, and a dash of the supernatural for good measure. Best of all, you can listen to it for free as an audiobook online and without needing to download it.""I did the audio as a option for the family to get into that into the Halloween season. I was not expecting much, never being a fan of the movie but the book is much better and has a deep plot that makes you think. Was enjoyed by everyone, I rated a 4.5, because I feel like I would have enjoyed this more reading at my own pace."
- "This boo will surprise you as it was the biggest surprises for me, all different what I expected. A horror story, about making a man from different body parts. The narrator did a great job of building the atmosphere and excitement in the story. I always love reading the original stories . It was great. "
- "In my quest to read as many classics as I can, Frankenstein has been one of the best dark books of all time. It is very different from the movie. You have to actually read the book in order to understand the Frankenstein Mary Shelly wrote about. The character development and imagery is second to none. Shelly's imagination is unparalleled and I really enjoyed how the characters were developed and how they relate to each other. This is a classic and it has quickly become one of my favorite books. "
- "This book is not specifically engineered for Android. It is an audio book found on Amazon and is downloadable to a PC or a Kindle. The version that can be downloaded to a PC or a smartphone requires the Kindle software to be installed on your device. The software is a free download and it is quick and easy to install, with no need to fool around with parameters, but to indicate that this book is for Android, is pushing the truth of the matter without exposing all the details."
- "I love Mary Shelley. I consider her as one of the best selling female authors of all time. And Frankenstein is one of my favorite, if not the most, horror novel of all time. I don't know if you noticed about the subplot where noble Christian characters risked their lives to save a Muslim friend. Although the conclusion of the novel seems incomplete to me. Yet I think it is one of the beauties of this book. Having an open-ended conclusion. "
- "There have been a million Frankenstein movies and probably even more books that have ripped off the original. But it's worth reading the original by Mary Shelley to see where all those came from. It's really an incredibly well-written book and the theme was a masterpiece of human emotion that's rarely been matched."
- #6 of 152
in What are the best horror books"I have been through my fair share of horror books but one that really sticks out for me would have to be Frankenstein. It's just a classic and it has so much good stuff in there. There is no way you would hate it. I would recommend you check it out. It's a very good read. "
- "Frankenstein is a great choice for young adult readers who want to read controversial material that has been either banned or challenged. It explores the taboo topic of human resurrection by man, which many found to be unnatural and ungodly and for that I loved reading it and feel like you will too. "
- "If you're reading this review, you only have one question. You're not looking for a book review, you already know it's a classic. You already know this is the most original, and one of the best, and best-written horror stories in literature. You may or may not like the story, but that's a matter of personal taste. A lot of people don't like Shakespeare, but no one questions whether he was a good writer or not. If you don't like the writing style, it's because you aren't familiar with the English of this period. Nearly eighty years before Stoker's "Dracula" ( an idea stolen from Polidori's "The Vampyre", which was an idea stolen from LeFanu's "Carmilla"), this most-original horror masterpiece was born. So, your only question is, "Is this really the uncensored 1818 version? Because I've only seen one other verified version, and it's over twenty dollars in paperback. All the others claiming to be the 1818 version have been disproved." YES, as far as I can tell, it is. The only preface is Shelley's own original. There is no introduction, no commentary or editorial credits whatsoever. There are no illustrations, and the spelling and language have not been edited. Have a good thesaurus handy. So, here it is, the author's original script, no frills, for a bargain price. Which is exactly what I was looking for."
- "If you haven't read Mary Shelley's magnum opus Frankenstein, then what are you waiting for? There's a reason why it gets a prominent mention in the Bohemian Manifesto. And remember, the name of the titular character is Frankenstein's Monster, not the mononym Frankenstein!"
- "Definitely Frankenstein should be one of the best Collins Classics books like Notre Dame or Dracula. It is really hard to pick one of them to consider as the best. You should definitely read all of these books anyway. I also love the movies that are made based on this book."
- "Frankenstein is a classic for a reason and is always a good recommendation for a good read. Original in ways that are still appreciated, it's definitely one every science fiction fan should check out."
- "The recommendation for Frankenstein would be acceptable to me with the search criteria best books with titles that start with f, g, or h. Not only does it meet the criteria searched with 4.2 out of 5 stars and 3,555 customer reviews it has a reasonable purchase price with several different options in which to purchase."
- "The book is completely different than any Frankenstein movie I have seen. I puzzled about this difference throughout the book. There are three first person naratives, although two are written as letters home. Vikor's's own account of creating a monster only to run immediately when the monster comes to life. He is a creepy coward constantly self-justifying. The monster on the other hand does engage my sympathy, but he wrecks Viktor's lifew by killing or causingthe death of those Viktor loves. Great read if you ask me."
- "This was my favorite book that I read in school. The first time I read it was during our Autumn break at school. It was the book that started my love of reading and also pushed my love of monster books and movies. I'm not sure any new books will every touch this classic by Mary Shelley. "
- "One of my favorite books is Frankenstein. It's even better as an audio book and is one of my favorite audio books of all time. It's a classic story that I recommend everyone read at least once in their life. If you don't want to read it, you can listen to the audio book, which is amazing. You'll love this book, especially being able to relax and just listen to the audio. I highly recommend this haunting tale to everyone out there. Check it out!""I have trouble finding time to sit down and read a book. In most cases I gotta have something to listen to while on the move, like a radio. One of my favorite childhood stories are about Frankenstein and his monster. I actually enjoy lots of media about the supernatural or the typical monster movies. This allowed me to have a bit of enjoyment while working and filled my needs."
There are no comments yet!
- #15 of 16
in What are the best cult classics"Frankenstein is one of the most famous cult classic novels. It goes beyond the hype of the mad scientist, lightning bolt, and grotesque creation to make commentary on moral and ethical implications of science and human nature. A timeless creation and favorite of many."
There are no comments yet!
- #20 of 129
in What are the best classic books"As classics go this book is one of the big ones. With dozens of movies, tv episodes, other books, and other works of art and fiction based off of the original idea the contents of the book have become a huge and ingrained part of our culture. Not only that, but it was written by a woman in a time when female authors were few, and predicted technology well ahead of its time.""Love the price on this, especially for a classic from a very good author, Mary Shelley. This book is original and one of the best horror stories out there . If you like horror. It's similar to Stephen King's style , which I love . So good , many movie versions are out there to watch also. "