This solution is ranked
in What are the best fiction books that feature artRead user opinions
in What are the best books with people's faces on the coverRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books by Tracy ChevalierRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction books that are actually historical fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books about arts and artistsRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction audiobooks to listen toRead user opinions
in What are the best books that have 'girl' in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 1990sRead user opinions
in What are the best heartbreaking and tragic romance novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction with literary meritRead user opinions
in What are the most brilliant historical novels in the past 30 yearsRead user opinions
in What are the best Mensa-recommended books for ages 9 to 12Read user opinions
in What are the best historical fictions for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction biography booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books for people with INFP personalitiesRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books for adults with a child protagonistRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction books for ChristiansRead user opinions
in What are the best women's fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best historical novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about Girl with a Pearl Earring
- "A great story of the actual story behind the painting. The author goes into great detail of each of the character's background. This is a thought provoking book with a good character development and the right amount of suspense and drama. Highly recommended for those who are a fan of the painting."
- "Girl with a Pearl Earring is a great book by Tracy Chevalier and I would highly recommend trying it out if you are searching for a must-read book by her. I thought that this story was very fascinating as it is a historical novel that depicts the story of a maid that becomes immortalized by the master of light. "
- "This book provides historical perspective from the point of view you wouldn't really think about. It's fiction, but the way it's written is very believable and could very well be passed off as a factual account. The story was easy to get into and kept my attention the whole way through."
There are no comments yet!
- "This is a captivating story about Johannes “Jan” Vermeer and his artistic creations with a lot of imagination. This book introduces a girl named Griet, who is a maid for the Vermeer house. She is a very hard worker who takes an interest in his paintings as she cleans his studio. Eventually, she even starts to grind ingredients for his paints. I have always liked his paintings so it was an intriguing journey down a speculation upon his life and all those around him."
- "I love this book. The main protagonist a keen observer who sees the world in sensuous images expressed in beautiful prose. It's readable and absorbing and thought-provoking. Whilst the ending left me a little unsettled, it is, by no means heartbreaking. So I don't think it's a great fit for the problem.""The book "Girl with a Peal Earring is a great novel to read because I love historical books. I love the character of Griet who is a muse for a painter but seems to be so much more. I also love the romantic plot between her and the , who looks past the fact that she is a maid. Great read."
- "Girl with a Pearl Earring is a good read, especially if you love art. It has to do with a painting and societal differences, so I was a bit leery of reading it at first. It was not a hard read though, and I thoroughly enjoyed the characters.""This book was interesting but I usually don't read these types of genre usually. It was a little slow."
- " I like this book a lot. It’s a good read. It was an enjoyable story about paintings. It’s very easy to keep track of the characters, and the social understanding of the time period. I enjoyed the historic fiction, and suspense drama. I couldn’t put the book down at all."
- "I am quite familiar with Vermeer's painting of the Girl with a Pearl Earring. It's one of my favorite classical art pieces as it depicts such mystery and beauty. I've read the historical account of how this piece of art came to be and even watched the movie starring a young Scarlett Johansson. Now coming across this book from Tracy Chevalier, I had to pick it up. It has additional works from Vermeer and this fictionalized novel really puts a spin on the story as it follows the maid, Griet, who as most know it, is the Girl with a Pearl Earring. I love this whole story and I feel that a retelling is always something that I would enjoy and it's no different here. Vermeer was such an enigma of sorts to me because of his personality so I love reading different accounts and retellings about this chapter in his life."
- "Celebrate Tracy Chevalier’s modern classic Girl With A Pearl Earring, featuring a gorgeous new edition illustrated with eight pages of Vermeer’s masterworks. History and fiction merge seamlessly in this luminous novel about artistic vision and sensual awakening. The story of Griet, whose life is transformed by her brief encounter with a genius as she herself is immortalized in canvas and oil, is new again. A Deluxe Edition of the National Bestseller with Over 2 Million Copies Sold: Eight Pages of Full-Color Plates Include Every Vermeer Painting Discussed in the Book French Flaps Rough Front a New Foreword"
- "A great historical novel is The Girl with a Pearl Earring written by Tracy Chevalier. I love this novel, I read it in college and it might be one of the best historical novels of all time. It's about a woman that poses for a portrait and her relationship with the artist. "