This solution is ranked
in What are the best books by Richard MathesonRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction horror booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with interesting storylinesRead user opinions
in What are the best novels about apocalypseRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books about diseases or virusesRead user opinions
in What are the best apocalyptic novels that inspired the fallout seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best 1950's classic science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best fictional short story collectionsRead user opinions
in What are the best books on lonelinessRead user opinions
in What are the best futuristic booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books about the collapse of civilizationRead user opinions
in What are the best books published in 1954Read user opinions
in What are the best books featured in Horror: 100 Best BooksRead user opinions
in What are the best horror novels with vampiresRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels by MasterworksRead user opinions
in What are the best apocalyptic graphic novels and books for adultsRead user opinions
in What are the best horror books not written by Stephen KingRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in a post-apocalyptic worldRead user opinions
in What are the best horror booksRead user opinions
What the community says about I Am Legend
- "This book is has been misrepresented as the entire "I Am Legend," rather than a compliation of short stories. Of course, it is my ignorance that led me to believe that I Am Legend was a novel rather than a short story. Regardless, the story starts off as an attention grabber, but it only goes downhill from there. While Matheson creates a fabulous premise for a novel, he fails to deliver a well developed literary work -- particularly with the end. It just falls flat, as if Matheson got bored and decided to cut it short. I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie, becuase most times the book has greater detail and character development, particularly when the book precedes the movie and with these such subjects. However, this time, I am hoping that Hollywood can save this book. "
- "Book so popular that it was made into a film featuring Will Smith (cried like a baby during that dog scene, you guys know what I'm talking about). Although it largely involves surviving a post-apocalyptic vampire world, I wouldn't necessarily classify this under the horror genre. It is definitely a thriller. There aren't the chills or feelings of dread that I'd usually associate horror novels, but I Am Legend will definitely get your heart racing. "
- "I Am Legend is one of the most interesting stories I have ever read. It thrusts the reader into a horrifying world where there is no hope left but yet the main character continues on. The vampires are a nice dark touch and really bring together the story nicely. Highly recommended to anyone interested in end of world stories!"
There are no comments yet!
- "The best futuristic books include "I Am Legend", which is a post-apocalyptic book that centers around the last man on earth who fights for his life as the living creatures on Earth turn into vampires. Boasting an average customer rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 1,591 Amazon customer reviews, I would strongly recommend this book."
- "I wanted a good post-apocalyptic book to read over the weekend and am a little tired of the zombie genre for the moment. This was a fantastic change. It is full of twists and turns and the best part of the book is how the character is the last man on earth but he is far from being alone in the world. It was a great change of pace and nothing like the movie. I highly suggest reading the book as it was very enthralling.""I Am Legend is an interesting entry into this category. I don't consider post-apocalytpic books to truly be about the collapse of civilization since they aren't historical accounts or based on them. Further than that, this is not remotely based in reality featuring what are essentially vampires."
- "This book was purely entertaining. An absolute page-turner. I read the whole thing in one stretch and it was nearly responsible for me missing a flight as I sat in the lounge saying "I'll walk to my gate once I finish ONE more chapter." If you've seen the Will Smith movie, you get the general gist. But a single-character story is much better suited to book-form where you can more easily access the thoughts and emotions of that character. While it has action, unlike the movie, it isn't really an action-based story"
- "Vampire series have been all the rage for the last few years. I have to admit I am a huge fan of all things vampire! "I am Legend" is my favorite of all the horror novels with vampires that I have read. Matheson does an amazing job centering the plot of Robert as he navigates his way through a world completly destroyed by a plague. Each page leaves you wanting more!"
- "My first piece of advice is if you haven't seen the movie with Will Smith, watch that before you read this book. I say this because this book will completely ruin the movie for you because it is so much better. Richard Matheson is the original king of horror literature and this apocalyptic book is a masterpiece."
- "I made the mistake of seeing the movie first. I thought of Will Smith the entire time reading this. The book far exceeds my expectations and is 100% better than the movie. I would agree that this is the best horror book NOT written by Stephen King. Not only was it scary, the ending was completely unpredictable."
- "I was looking for a book to read for a project I was assigned in school. The project required that I examine the development of a character in a fictional world unlike our own, and then compare, contrast, and explain, how the different environment impacted the character development. This book was a great suggestion, as it has one male protagonist struggling to survive in a world that is fictional as well as dynamic."
- #33 of 152
in What are the best horror books