This solution is ranked
in What are the best diary novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read on stressful timesRead user opinions
in What are the best whimsical novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult diary novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best novels set in 20th century BritainRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in Jo Walton's Among OthersRead user opinions
in What are the best books published in 1948Read user opinions
in What are the best books in epistolary formatRead user opinions
in What are the best books that Emma Watson has recommendedRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction novels with a writer characterRead user opinions
in What are the best books with titles that start with i, j, or kRead user opinions
in What are the best Virago Modern Classics booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books that will make you happyRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 1940sRead user opinions
What the community says about I Capture the Castle
- "This book is near perfect. Why haven't I read it before? I don't normally love first person narration because you're in one characters head and if the character is annoying you're stuck. Cassandra is not annoying; she's an amazing narrator. Fans of pride and prejudice, Jane Eyre, and the great Gatsby, this book is for you! "
- "The best book that Emma Watson has recommended is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. It tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra and her family, who live in poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. "
- "Lots of novels are about writers, oddly enough. It's a strange but fitting genre, and this is a solid entry in it. This novel is told from the perspective of Cassandra Mortmain writing her experiences in a journal - and it's endlessly fascinating. This is a very human and raw experience in a unique format sure to endear itself to any literature fan. Try it!"
- "It's a pretty general question so anything involving that works well with this question and helps solve the needs of the person looking into a book that starts with I, J, or K. This book in particular is very well rated book so the person choosing this book made a good choice as the general view is it is a good well regarded book. I purchased this book myself and found it very well written and has a wonderful charm to it."
- "While I hope the heroine of this novel had a happy ending, the description alone doesn't make it seem possible. I'm not sure this would be a book that would make someone happy unless it had a less than tragic ending but up until that point this actually sounds like a rather depressing book."