This solution is ranked
in What are the best books by inspirational authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs, biographies, and autobiographies about womenRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs about African-AmericansRead user opinions
in What are the best poetry books by women of colorRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by black authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read if you liked To Kill a MockingbirdRead user opinions
in What are the best books with titles that start with i, j, or kRead user opinions
in What are the best inspirational biographiesRead user opinions
in What are the best biographies about black peopleRead user opinions
in What are the best author-narrated audiobooksRead user opinions
in What are the best books for adultsRead user opinions
in What are the best modern-day classic booksRead user opinions
in What are the best biographies about womenRead user opinions
in What are the best Maya Angelou booksRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs about coming of ageRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs that are better than fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best nonfiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read if you liked The Glass CastleRead user opinions
in What are the best inspirational nonfiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with animals in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best feminist booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with name of birds in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best African-American booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Virago Modern Classics booksRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs, biographies, and autobiographiesRead user opinions
in What are the best black girl books included on Marley Dias' book driveRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by American womenRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs and autobiographies by womenRead user opinions
in What are the best books with sentence as titleRead user opinions
in What are the best reading list for Black Lives Matter movementRead user opinions
in What are the best books to feel less lonelyRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read true stories that are inspirationalRead user opinions
in What are the best books you've ever readRead user opinions
What the community says about I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- "The abuse and sadness the female character endures endeared her to me as I prayed for her survival and happiness. In a time of oppression Maya found ways to cope though her trials were long-lasting. This books helps me remember how bigotry affected millions of people for many a generation."
- "This is one of the rare books you can read that holds nothing back. Centered around the inner voice of a young black child, you see everything as you would as if you were her. Its a huge shoutout towards black hatred from whites and is powerful enough that people have attempted to ban it from being read by children. "
- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a light biography as it follows the lives of two kids who are sent to live with their Grandmother in the heart of the South. They endure prejudice, heartache, love, and loss. Overall it's quite a good look at the way the world was through their eyes growing up, and it's enlightening. I would highly recommend reading it. "
- "Here is a book as joyous and painful, as mysterious and memorable, as childhood itself. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings captures the longing of lonely children, the brute insult of bigotry, and the wonder of words that can make the world right. Maya Angelou’s debut memoir is a modern American classic beloved worldwide. Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local “powhitetrash.” At eight years old and back at her mother’s side in St. Louis, Maya is attacked by a man many times her age—and has to live with the consequences for a lifetime. Years later, in San Francisco, Maya learns that love for herself, the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors (“I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare”) will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned. Poetic and powerful, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read. "
- "I was snooping around Amazon bookseller and thought I would give Maya Angelou a read. I bought "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and now I know why she is such a well known author. Her subject matter is difficult, but she writes in a captivating and interesting way to keep the reader completely enthralled. A must read for any person wanting to know what it is like to be black in America. "
- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is an important work of African-American literature. Written with care and poise, this story unblinkingly shows the impact of hate and discrimination on black lives. I really appreciated having my eyes opened to the struggle that so many have lived and felt inspired to make change in my own life."
- "When I graduated from college my first job was teaching school in a place called...Stamps Arkansas.. the place Maya Angelou writes of. I can attest to the feel of the place. The young Maya has a story about growing up and being abused..neglected..and forgotten. Her strength is phenomenal in the book and in her life. I have a surreal story about this book. When I still in college my African American Best Friend/room mate had a horrible toothache.. He was horrified of the dentist and let things get bad. The last night before going to the dentist he was in great pain.. I stayed up all night reading I know why the caged bird sings.. and this was the only way he was able to rest..He did finally fall asleep. The book is amazing.""What can I say? It's a book by Maya Angelou, one of the greatest authors of our past. This book is necessary in understanding part of America's past that most will never have known. Fantastic!"
- "I love Maya Angelou book. She has a pure uncensored outlook on life that is just so realistic. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings I think the bigotry represented in this book relates to the bigotry we are seeing in today's America. It's powerful, moving, and sometimes frightening if you have never experienced anything mentioned in this book. ""i dont not recommend this book simple because i don't like it's content however for those who prefer books with that content, i would say it would be a great investment f our time based on the book ratings (4.5 from 2,7777 customers)""Maya Angelou is one of the most known writers in the current genre. Her books are renowned as must-read and get great reviews from critics all over the world. If you're looking for a good non-fiction author you've found it."
- "I've been wanting to read this book for years, finally got it and read it. Overall a solid book. Plenty of similes and metaphors, actually way too many similes and metaphors. I wasn't astounded by this book there were only a few gripping parts in the novel, but I was impressed by Maya Angelou's eloquence. Angelou simply is put smooth. She could say something rude, vulgaric, inappropriate or pretentious, but she presents it in a disarming way. Her style is extremely eloquent. The book itself(telling of her life) isn't necessarily captivating it's her style that is. If you're looking for a riveting tale filled with adventure this isn't your book.""A book about the extraordinary resilience of women, and the power of black women to resist the forces rising against her. The sorrows of this book are tremendous and overwhelming, and we are able to feel a much-needed voice in modern fiction. It is a feminist classic that opened the world of black women to readers all over the world. "
- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is the self written memoir of Maya Angelou. Maya is my favorite modern poet and so this was a great read. It's not about birds though so while this is a great book I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone looking for books about birds. "
- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou captures the longing of lonely children, the brute insult of bigotry, and the wonder of words that can make the world right. This memoir is a modern American classic thet will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read. good book"
- "The book is definitely a qualifying example of a solution, as the title is a sentence- thus, right there I'd say this is a great solution. The book is also a classic, written by a long-adored and easily relatable author, and would definitely be considered one of the "best"."
- "This is the perfect suggestion. In order to know why Black Lives Matter exists and why the feelings run so deep, you need to understand the history of oppression. No one explains that better than Maya Angelou. Her words are profound and cut deep. Reading this book will make you understand why Black Lives Matter is not just a new thing, it's a response to years of systematic racism. "
- "It is always helpful when you are feeling lonely and down to see, or read about those less fortunate then yourself. It helps you realize sometimes your problems are not as bad as you think. This book is a wonderful inspirational read, not just for the lonely but for all people."
- "I don't read much, I just don't have the time. A friend told me that I really needed to read this book though. I'm glad I listened. Do yourself a favor and take the time to read this book. It truly is one of the best things I've read in a long time."