This solution is ranked
in What are the best multi-ethnic American literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction books with feminist themesRead user opinions
in What are the best contemporary literary works written by black womenRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction novels with time travelRead user opinions
in What are the best interracial historical romance booksRead user opinions
in What are the best black girl books included on Marley Dias' book driveRead user opinions
in What are the best books with black character leadsRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books for African-American ChristiansRead user opinions
in What are the best books by Octavia E. ButlerRead user opinions
in What are the best books for African-American according to HuffingtonRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read for a diverse reading experienceRead user opinions
in What are the best sci-fi novels with female protagonistsRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by black authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction books with black leadsRead user opinions
in What are the best standalone science fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best novels about illegal immigrantsRead user opinions
in What are the best African-American booksRead user opinions
in What are the best interracial romance novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best american slavery booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Americana fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels with black womenRead user opinions
in What are the best african american sience fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction books by female authorsRead user opinions
What the community says about Kindred
- "Kindred was a satisfactory read, but was not all that entertaining to me. It did provide the perspective of a black woman and how she viewed the past, so it could be described as a multi-ethnic literary work. I thought the time travel element was a bit out there, this is definitely a young adult novel."
There are no comments yet!
- "The solution solves the problem of a person who wants to read the book. It takes them directly to the area where they can purchase several versions of the book. At the Amazon area you can also read a good bit more or the book to decide if you really want to purchase it or not."
- "Kindred was a riveting read. It’s described as sci-fi, but the time travel is really just a device used to examine issues of slavery and race from modern and historical perspectives simultaneously. The focus is much more on the characters and issues of race. I highly recommend this book."
There are no comments yet!
- "This book has two subjects that have been missing in the literary world together: teleportation and slavery. This book needs no context and is the sort of thing that just absorbs you right from the start and takes you for a ride. I felt like I was in the teleportation machine with Dana and it was an eye-opening experience for both of us. The experience still sticks with me sometimes and gives me nightmares, but otherwise I would recommend this book with some hesitation."
- "Kindred is a time travel book that is about an immigrant who was transported to the plantation in the past. This is not really a story about illegal immigrants as it is a story more about time travel to the past when there was still cruel mistreatment of Black people as slaves. I would not recommend if you are looking for a novel about illegal immigrants. "
- "This book is modern day classic, and should be required reading in school. I've already read it twice and even though it's targeted at younger readers I could see myself enjoying this as an adult. "
- "This is a science fiction book with a black woman, Dana, as the star character and it is a great mix of historical information intertwined with teleportation and other fictional science. I could not put this book down and finished it in two days. It was written in 1979 and I think it was probably ahead of its time because it fits in perfectly today and could have been written last year. Definitely recommend, everyone go read this!"
- "Kindred by Octavia E. Butler is a very enjoyable novel I am a great science fiction fan and this is my first book by this African American female author. Many friends have recommended her to me and I'm glad I picked up this book. It is time travel story that is gripping, emotional, and deals with some serious issues such as slavery, racism, and loss. "