This solution is ranked
in What are the best novels set in the Old WestRead user opinions
in What are the best Texas setting booksRead user opinions
in What are the best best western historical fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best novels about journeys on the roadRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels with prostitutes or gigolosRead user opinions
in What are the best Pulitzer Prize winners for fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best contemporary western novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best cowboy moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best Larry McMurtry booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books featuring AmericaRead user opinions
in What are the best American historical fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best books about the Old WestRead user opinions
in What are the best books recommended for men by EsquireRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
What the community says about Lonesome Dove
- "I loved Texas style movies about the west and how cowboys would fight Indians away from thier homes. When I saw this book I picked it up at the local book market. I brought it home to read for a couple weeks to see if I was interested in it at all. I only have a few hours at best to myself and reading can’t take all my time up. However after a few chapters I have to say it wasn’t as good as I would have thought when imagining the story from the description. It was a little to slow for me."
- "I've made it a life goal to read every Pulitzer Prize winner that I can get my hands on and "Lonesome Dove" ended up being one of the best books I've ever read. Granted, I'm a little bias since I love tales of the old west but I can't help but call this book a masterpiece. If I had one complaint I would say that it starts out a little slow but it feels like a requirement to build up the characters until the point where you're completely hooked. It an amazing "American" story and I can't recommend it enough as you absolutely won't regret spending your time in this fictional world.""This is a piece of history and it sure feels like it. I was looking for an interesting book about America in the 19th century and a friend recommended this. I wish I asked someone else. This story was long and slow. It was incredibly exhausting to read, no matter how true it was to history. I am still looking for book to satisfy my desire for an accurate, enjoyable story set in the 19th century. ""I was reading Pulitzer Prize winning books recently, and I came up to this one. I wasn't a big fan of it at all. Not really my type of subject matter, but I just couldn't get invested in the story. That may be my own fault, but I sometimes read things I don't think I'll enjoy, but the writing is good, it draws me in. This book didn't do it for me. ""I really enjoyed this book. By far my favorite love story. I really enjoy books where the setting is based in Texas. One of the best, well-written books I have ever read. "
- "This is one of the best western novels I have ever read. It is a masterpiece. Every character feels so real and feels like they actually belong in the story. Everything they say or do matters. The plot has so many layers that you'll be able to read this book many times over the years without getting bored. If you haven't read Lonesome Dove I think you should pick up a copy immediately. "
There are no comments yet!
- "Lonesome Dove certainly deserves to be in the category of great American historical fiction, both the book and the mini series show life in the late 1900's and shows how the US has evolved. A wonderful love story and great storyline."
- "I often fantasize about living in the old west and reading books about it helps me live out that fantasy. I recently read "Lonesome Drive" and it's one of the best written old west books that I've come across. It really mad me feel like I was there and made me want to stay in my fantasy world!"
- "I really loved this book, well most of it. I stayed up until midnight to finish it and was so disappointed in the last 4 chapters. It's as if the author couldn't figure out what to do with the ending. It just ENDS. There are lots of loose ends & lots of questions (at least from me) concerning the characters. Hopefully, I'll get some answers in the sequel. I really loved the main characters of Gus & Call, and the author did a great job with finishing up their storylines. It's the rest of characters that are left hanging."
- #35 of 129
in What are the best classic books