This solution is ranked
in What are the best oxford classic novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best George Eliot booksRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read long novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read novels from the Pop Chart Lab PosterRead user opinions
in What are the best novels set in Victorian timesRead user opinions
in What are the best 100-year-old booksRead user opinions
in What are the best victorian mystery novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century novels by British and Irish authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best books that are over 800 pagesRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
What the community says about Middlemarch
- "This fictitious tale set in a fictitious town will take you back in time. It offers lots of details about provincial life and involves real life, historical events that are sure to transport you to a time long gone. You will enjoy real life aspects including having a look at the status of women, the difference in religious views, and even on historical views of marriage. "
- "HIstorical fiction is one of my most favorite categories of literature. This book tells the story of lives in England in the early 1800's. The interations of Dorothea Brooke and Dr Tertius Lydgate, is typical of maby relationships today which makes for an even more interesting read."
- "It's a pretty incredible book and people say it's the best George Eliot, but I didn't like Middlemarch so much. It's got a lot of Eliot's weaknesses -- needlessly and artlessly complicated writing, slow plots -- but not a lot of his inventiveness. Can't recommend it."
- "Middlemarch is a classic text by George Eliot. I originally read this book in school but have since read it on my own. It is magnificent. The writing is impressive and the plot is intricate and historically grounded. I love this book and would recommend it to anyone who is tired of the contemporary novels that feel so light-hearted and underdone."
- "While I can not say this was my favorite book, it was a really good read. The mixture of real events and a fake town was an interesting twist, which made the book feel original. The pacing was good and the story never lost focus. I was reading it at work and a co-worker noticed. She asked about the book and was interested in it, so I decided to read it with her. In the end we loved the book and the experience it offered."
- "While Middlemarch tackles many issues of the time period in which it's set, I don't feel as if it touched on any current society issues or any issues that have really stood the test of time. There's many other novels that I feel either address current issues or include broader social issues that are still relevant in society today, such as writing about inequality in broad terms. "
- #33 of 129
in What are the best classic books"I was looking into the top classic books to read before you die and was told to read Middlemarch. This is obviously a classic and has great writing and a very good story. Many people talk highly of this book and that makes it more appealing. I recommend this book to everyone as a must read. "