This solution is ranked
in What are the best books for 2 to 6 year old boysRead user opinions
in What are the best books for 2nd grade ChristiansRead user opinions
in What are the best timeless children's books according to Time magazineRead user opinions
in What are the best 1930s children's booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books from the Weekly Reader Children's Book ClubRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned on Captain KangarooRead user opinions
What the community says about Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
- "Kids of all ages will love reading this book because it appeals to both boys and girls. For boys, they'll love to see how things are built and all the cool machines, and for girls, there are wonderful illustrations that are wonderfully bright and shiny as steel. The book has the same beauty and touch as Burton's other classic "The Little House" and the story teaches readers to never give up on what you believe in and what get it you best shot as well as getting interested in the world of building, so dig on!"
- "This delightful classic was written in 1939 at the height of America's industrial age. The story is a wonderful example of how perseverance can work! Mike and his steam shovel Mary Ann work hard to prove their value despite the appearance of diesel and gasoline engines."
- "A true classic! I am sure most of you remember this one from your childhood. This is a classic that deserves to be read in the classic way - a hardback book. I read it with my 2nd grader and she enjoyed it to no end. "
- "This was a childhood favorite of my brothers, so I purchased it a while ago for his children. It has been read over and over and delightfully received. My brother and his family visited recently and I had the opportunity to read it to the children. What a delight! It's still as good and evoked just as much wonder in them as I remember when I was a child. Great timeless children's book. Beautiful, hand drawn illustrations. Love it!"
- "The book "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" is a classic childrens book found on many shelves of the younger generation. This book is eighty years old this year and has remained in the top 100 books to read for children. This book is an excellent candidate for the Weekly Reader Children's Book Club. ""Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel is an old children's picture book. This classic book follows Mike Mulligan as he digs deep canals. Even though it's older it's still an fun and engaging read for little kids today."