This solution is ranked
in What are the best books with titles that are oppositesRead user opinions
in What are the best Collins Classics booksRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century romance booksRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels with empowered heroinesRead user opinions
in What are the best books of the 19th centuryRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century novels by British and Irish authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best classic books for the 90s kidsRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fictions for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best Classic books for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction booksRead user opinions
What the community says about North and South
- "I haven't read this book, but I can confirm that the title is about opposites. I don't understand why anyone would be interested in titles that are opposites, but I suppose it's just one of those things. Now that I've given it some thought, I'm inspired to buy this book, for no other reason than because the title involves opposites."
- "North and South is a book by Elizabeth Gaskell and available for $11.68. It is the story of Magaret Hall and how she leaves the south to Milton in the North of England. The story raises many questions about social authority and obedience. This fits the topic nicely. "
- "North and South is a historical fiction novel and fairly famous. It has a TV miniseries as well and is a good read for anyone interested in the 19th century."
- "As her sympathy for the town’s mill workers grows, her sense of social injustice piques and she passionately fights their corner. However, just as she disputes the mill owner, John Thornton’s treatment of his workers, she cannot deny her growing attraction to him. Highlighting the changing landscape of nineteenth-century Britain and championing the role of women in Victorian society, Gaskell ."
- "There just is not a dull moment in this book . Every paragraph, every chapter ,every sentence has you on the edge of your seat. I would definitely read this again and recommend it to others, for some people it might hit them the wrong way because of the political nature but its not too overwhelming , its just right . "
- "I love to read historical fiction books. I found a great book called North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's set in the Industrial Revolution. It tells the story of Margaret Hale, who is forced to leave the south to go to England. It's a riveting story about the time period and has a lot of interesting characters. I love the history covered in it. It's wonderful. Really recommended."