This solution is ranked
in What are the best random books to read when boredRead user opinions
in What are the best gothic books ever writtenRead user opinions
in What are the best Mystery books set in FranceRead user opinions
in What are the best classic German booksRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction novels set in 1700sRead user opinions
in What are the best books with villain protagonistRead user opinions
in What are the best historical fiction books set in FranceRead user opinions
in What are the best underrated novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best absurdist fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best novels with modern gothic themeRead user opinions
in What are the best romantic historical adventure novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with disturbing plotsRead user opinions
in What are the best historical mystery booksRead user opinions
What the community says about Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
- "These books are really interesting and are god to read when bored. I had a lot of interesting thoughts while reading these books. The story was captivating and interesting to think about. I would recommend this to anyone looking for some books to read, but might not know exactly what they want to read."
- "A suspenseful thriller you will not want to put down. Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, abandoned on the streets as a child grows up to discover he has an extraordinary gift of a powerful sense of smell. He creates fragrances yet there is one itch he can't scratch and that's to kill and keep killing."
- "It's a quirky read. It uses an omniscient narrator, the main character is a psychopath, and every description concerns scent. Smells. Lots of smells. If you want to read about smells, or learn how to write about smells, this book's unmatched. I started reading to learn about writing smells. I kept reading because of its dark lurid tale and quirky setup. Nothing like it nowadays. I recommend the movie too. It's the kind of story you remember whether you want to or not"
- "I wanted to read a good underrated novel and found Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. This is a book I had never heard of, and I was quite surprised by the quality of writing and the story. I was also very interested in the characters and the interesting connection to smell. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in an underrated story. "
There are no comments yet!
- "An acclaimed bestseller and international sensation, Patrick Suskind’s classic novel provokes a terrifying examination of what happens when one man’s indulgence in his greatest passion—his sense of smell—leads to murder. In the slums of eighteenth-century France, the infant Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is born with one sublime gift—an absolute sense of smell. As a boy, he lives to decipher the odors of Paris, and apprentices himself to a prominent perfumer who teaches him the ancient art of mixing precious oils and herbs. But Grenouille’s genius is such that he is not satisfied to stop there, and he becomes obsessed with capturing the smells of objects such as brass doorknobs and fresh-cut wood. Then one day he catches a hint of a scent that will drive him on an ever-more-terrifying quest to create the “ultimate perfume”—the scent of a beautiful young virgin. Told with dazzling narrative brilliance, Perfume is a hauntingly powerful tale of murder and sensual depravity. "