This solution is ranked
in What are the best books by Neal StephensonRead user opinions
in What are the best hard science fiction books of the 21st centuryRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read long novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best hard science fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels of the 21st centuryRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle)
- "The Boroque Cycle has some of Neal Stephenson's best books. To get to those, you have to read Quicksilver. Unfortunately this is not his best one, but it still has a story that will get you interested, and it's a gateway to the true beauty that shines in books two and beyond."
- "One of the very best Science Fiction books as revealed by the winning of the Arthur C. Clarke award. This novel is highly recommended, and may appeal to those who are not interested in Science Fiction. However, it may not appeal to those who want a simple story. It is difficult to follow, at times. "
- "I was looking for a must-read novel that was exceptionally long. I fly through my books, and I wanted to get something that'd take me a while to read, while also holding my interest. This book "Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle) has done exactly that. It's going to take me months to finish this book, but that's okay because I'm thoroughly enjoying the book! Definitely solved my problem of finding a great long novel to read."
- "I have plenty of patience for Neal Stephenson because he's currently my favorite author; but I found this book, unlike even Cryptonomicon (which I adored), to be very difficult. I had to restart several times and definitely lost track of things along the way. It is helpful to be comfortable with the historic timeline of the English Civil War through the Glorious Revolution before you begin (and if I'd thought of that, it would have made my reading more enjoyable). And I'm not sure this is a good book for Kindle, if you're going to put it down for any length of time and come back to it. There is a list of names at the end that would be much more useful in paper form (or indexed when the industry gets around to insisting that such things be hyperlinked). So consider the paper book! But all in all I still HAVE to give it four stars if only based on individual passages, because the writing is often brilliant and illuminating, both about history and about science and the passions we have for both. I'm beginning the next book now and am excited about what may come in those pages. ""As a first in the series this book really captures your attention. I found it hard to put down and was anticipating my need to purchase all the books in this series. It was a quick read but maybe this was because I was in a hurry to get to the next book. I was so immersed in the content I didn't realize I was already half way through the book. I'm looking forward to starting the next book and I'm sure it will be just as good as this one. That being said I wouldn't classify this as science fiction. At least not in my opinion. If your looking for an interesting read this is it. If you are looking for a true science fiction book you might want to pick something else."
There are no comments yet!
- "Brilliant book. It is so creative and thought provoking, especially as it relates to our world today. I enjoyed the questions (and possible solutions) it raised. The character "Half-cocked Jack" is thoroughly enjoyable! It made me want to read all of The Baroque Series."
- #102 of 151
in What are the best Science fiction novels"Science fiction novels is a huge category and it is hard to determine the best one of them but Quicksilver is a decent book. It was the first book that I have read from Neal Town Stephenson and if you are interested in fantasy books, you should also check his other books."