This solution is ranked
in What are the best must-read books that start with sRead user opinions
in What are the best books inspired by Sense and SensibilityRead user opinions
in What are the best books for teenage Christian girlsRead user opinions
in What are the best books by authors under 30Read user opinions
in What are the best Jane Austen novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best romancebooks with kindle versionRead user opinions
in What are the best books showing the bond of siblingsRead user opinions
in What are the best romance books set in Georgian EraRead user opinions
in What are the best book list of Daria MorgendorfferRead user opinions
in What are the best books by female authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best clean romance booksRead user opinions
in What are the best clean romance novels set in the Regency eraRead user opinions
in What are the best books that feature family relationshipsRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century romance booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books in the Lisa Simpson book clubRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned by Jess Mariano in Gilmore GirlsRead user opinions
in What are the best books about star-crossed loversRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read classicsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with titles that start with r, s, or tRead user opinions
in What are the best 19th century novels by British and Irish authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best books to include in your bucket listRead user opinions
in What are the best books with contemporary May-December romanceRead user opinions
in What are the best debut novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best British and Irish literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best classic romance booksRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read awesome books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best books according to Hamza Yusuf HansonRead user opinions
in What are the best historical romancesRead user opinions
in What are the best classic booksRead user opinions
What the community says about Sense and Sensibility
- "This is modern rewriting of a Jane Austen classic that is very pleasurable and well written. In this McCall Smith version , the character John Knightley rides a Ducati and is a fashion photographer. In this version, Emma is a small town girl who drives a mini cooper and is an interior designer. She matures and sees that she doesn't always know what is best for everyone . Great job on this retelling. Highly recommend this author."
- "Sense and Sensibility is a famous novel written by Jane Austen in 1811. The above is a 2003 Penguin Classics publication of the novel. The book is a classic and famous however it is not clear to me what other books have been inspired from Sense and Sensibility. We are not told that."
- "Definitely on my top 10 books to read. I absolutely love this book. It's really a great read and it brings back so many memories for me. I read this in school and read it again after I married. I still go back to this book every time I want to relax and read something good. It's the best. Marianne is my favorite character in this book."
- "While this is a great book, Jane Austen was in the latter half of her 30s so I wouldn't call it a best book by an author under 30. Regardless, I'll have to rate it at the mid scale because the book is damned awesome and if you don't mind half a decade past 30, it's still worth reading."
- "Jane Austen knows how to write and spin a tale. You can get lost in the characters as well as the story in any of her books, and "Sense and Sensibility" is no exception!""I like how Jane Austen bases her books on girls/women. I think it's an empowering thing, especially for readers and it hits on things that we all eventually experience."
- "Sense and Sensibility is a well known classic romantic fiction for good reason. The tale is filled with well drawn characters and very entertaining situations. There is a lot crammed in this book, however, if one takes the time to get lost in it then the read becomes extremely fulfilling."
- "I will confess right off the bat that I’m one of those readers who never “got” you. I tried to read Pride and Prejudice years ago, but gave up after a few pages because of your writing style. What can I say – I had less patience in those days with long, indirect sentences which seemed to use 20 words to say what could be easily said in five."
- "Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorite romance novels by Jane Austen that also serves as a societal commentary. Jane Austen was a revolutionary author for her time, and the messages in her books are still relevant to this day. I recommend this book for anyone who likes romance novels and socio-politic commentaries."
- "Sense and Sensibility is a brilliant work by Jane Austen that is part of the Lisa Simpson book club. The characters are developed through dialogue, and you feel as if you're part of their conversation. The romance unfolds, and everyone gets a happy ending. This book is a classic, with wit, and strong female characters: sisters that fall in love and have their heart broken. While it's a classic story, people can still relate, today."
- "A had a hard time getting through this. I know this is considered a classic, but the dialogue is so over-the-top unrealistic. People never talked like the way the characters talk in the book. The class system and social norms are to some degree true to life for that time, but I could not get past the ridiculous dialogue."
- "A great romantic classic about love struggles and overcoming social conventions and barriers in order to be with one's true love! Another great classic that should be on everyone's "must read" list. Although it was written in another life time, we can all relate to a theme in which there is a struggle between one's social duties and heart's desires. Great choice!"
- "Sense and Sensibility is a wonderful classic. Definitely something everyone must have on their bucket list. I love the two sisters in this book and really felt for them through the romance and heartbreak they experienced."
- "I was in the mood for a "May-December" type of romance story and realized I had never actually read the classic "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. It took me a bit of time to actually get through this one as it isn't particularly contemporary but I can easily realize why it is considered a classic. I don't know exactly why I am drawn to romance stories where there is a considerable age difference between the two potential lovers but this story definitely has this angle going on to some degree. Overall, I enjoyed the book but I felt it was a bit slow in places and it has that "dated" feeling if you're someone like me who typically enjoys more modern types of stories."
- #10 of 13
in What are the best debut novels
- "This is one of those books that I think everyone should read. It closely follows the lives of two people as they go through romance and heartbreak and I personally feel like a lot of this is really relatable. It can help you get through some of your own romantic problems in your life. Don't miss out on this great book!"
- "I agree that this is a must read, awesome book of all time! However, I don't feel the solution portrays that well. It mentions it is Jane Austen's first published work. Maybe instead it could tell home many copies have sold, or how many languages it has been translated to. I feel that would be a much better indication of "of all time"."
- "When reading this book it is all about the journey and less about the destination. This book is full of heart-breaking and amusing situations, and is a must-read for anyone. At least give it a try and try a different one of her novels if this one does not tickle your fancy. I found this one engaging from start to finish with fantastically developed characters who I could identify with and felt like I was right along with them for the journey."
- #29 of 129
in What are the best classic books