This solution is ranked
in What are the best coming-of-age literatureRead user opinions
in What are the best books for talking about rape and sexual assaultRead user opinions
in What are the best YA realistic fiction novels for girlsRead user opinions
in What are the best books that are Printz Award winners and honorsRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read if you liked The Glass CastleRead user opinions
in What are the best books with people's faces on the coverRead user opinions
in What are the best emotional booksRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult books with a sad storyRead user opinions
in What are the best books similar to Sarah Dessen's worksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with selectively mute charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best books that feature inspirational teachersRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read dark young adult novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in Rust Belt regionRead user opinions
in What are the best ya romance books made into moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best depressing booksRead user opinions
in What are the best YA novels with violence and abuseRead user opinions
in What are the best books with the best coversRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult realistic novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with psychological themesRead user opinions
in What are the best books for teens published in the 90sRead user opinions
in What are the best books teens should readRead user opinions
in What are the best middle school classicsRead user opinions
in What are the best books about sexual abuseRead user opinions
in What are the best novels about real life issues for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best books about self harm depression and suicideRead user opinions
in What are the best stand-alone booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books to teach in high schoolRead user opinions
in What are the best teen books about real problemsRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult realistic fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult booksRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult novels turned into moviesRead user opinions
What the community says about Speak
- "High school is a very awkward time in a lot of kids lives. This book can be a great coming of age piece for the young lady who feels she has no voice in this world. This book is a great example of how courage is often a tool we must learn to develop in our time in this world. The main character deals with a lot, but learns to find her voice in the the story."
- "Thought this was a great book. Very well written and honest account from the victim's view of abuse. Very realistic and gives the reader some idea of the effect of abuse on the victim. I love that it gives hope to people who don't understand what happened to them and also gives the abuser , if they care , some idea the harm their behavior causes."
There are no comments yet!
- "While this is a great book that touches on a difficult subject for teens (rape), and is a National Book Award finalist, it is not on the list of Printz Award winners or honors. It is a well written book that explores high school in a very accurate way. But if you're looking for just Printz books, then this book is not on your list. "
- "Speak is a meat and potatoes kind of book. It sticks with you long after you read it. I finished it in three days. I never read books that fast - I don't have endless time to read and I'm kind of a slow reader - but Anderson's writing style is such that you can breeze through the chapters in a couple of minutes.""Really speaks to the heart of a violated or traumatized man or woman. Especially those who feel like they weren't protected as kids. Trauma comes in all ages, but this one reaches all levels. "
- "This is an extremely emotional story about the life of a young adult woman, and the tribulations she endures through sexual abuse, PTSD, and general aloneness. This is a highly relatable story for many young adult readers, and a wider audience as well. Diving deep into strong emotional subjects, this is a very popular and well reviewed modern novel."
- "this is a great book for almost any one to read. it is highly rated with almost 5 stars with thousands of books sold. "
- "Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is an age-appropriate novel for teens with believable characters and situations. It focuses on a 9th grade girl who suddenly finds herself without friends after an incident that occurred at a high school party. As time goes on, she becomes more and more isolated from her peers and finds her only outlet to be through her art. As she begins to heal, with the help of her Art teacher and some new, trustworthy friends, she finds strength in her own voice and realizes the importance of speaking up. I'm not sure if the author intended for this book to be used in the classroom, but, either way, teachers everywhere are thankful for Laurie Halse Anderson! It is written to be read, absorbed, and discussed. The carefully chosen words are put together in ways that are easily relatable to teens everywhere. The hardships the characters face, as well as how they act and react to situations, mirror those you would see in a typical American high school. In addition to the audiobook, I also purchased a few copies of the paperback to add to our classroom library. The paperback includes an interview with the author, as well as discussion questions at the end of the boo"
There are no comments yet!
- "Speak is an excellent depressing book. It tells the tale of a high school student who has gone through a lot and is now isolated and living with post traumatic stress. I read this book about a year ago and I still remember everything about it. It really makes you think about what young people today have to go through in their lives. I recommend this book, but be ready with some tissues."
- "My daughter shared this book with me. She selected it at the library and felt that I could relate to Speak. Being that I was an outcast who suffered isolation during my teen years, this book was very relevant to my experience. It should be essential reading because it is the best book for all teens to read. I read the book first to see if the themes were too traumatic for my daughter to read. They were not. Speak allows you to speak with your teen about issues that are usually too difficult to broach. Spectacular book!"
- "This is an important social topic and one to definitely be discussed in health classes. I have a niece who had gone through a very similar situation in high school. It is every bit as devastating and isolating as described by author Laurie Halse Anderson's book "Speak". Understanding this issue, having open discussion about it, and warning kids about the dangers is the only way to approach the problem. Sure, there will be some that say this shouldn't be discussed in school. Where else then? Most parents are too afraid to even bring up the subject of sex, let alone rape. This should be required reading for junior high kids, though Americans with their Puritanical roots would see that pushed to the 12th grade. Good luck stemming the sexual assault/abuse problem in America with that attitude!"
- "This book is a very realistic look at life in high school. It touches ont he everyday things sthat make life so hard for teens, and I think that a lot of young people will find it reassuring and identify with it. I would recommend it for my kids."
- #19 of 280
in What are the best young adult books