This solution is ranked
in What are the best classic science fiction novels published from 1960 to 1969Read user opinions
in What are the best novels by Robert HeinleinRead user opinions
in What are the best 20th century science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read science-fiction and fantasy novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books about polyamoryRead user opinions
in What are the best LGBT science fiction and fantasy booksRead user opinions
in What are the best polygamist fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books set on or about marsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with polygamist charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best books for geeksRead user opinions
in What are the best novels that won the Hugo AwardRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended science fiction and fantasy books by NPRRead user opinions
in What are the best books recommended in RedditRead user opinions
in What are the best science fictions about societyRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books that influenced AmericaRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about Stranger in a Strange Land
- "After reading this novel I understand why it is considered one of the best classic science fiction novels of the 1960's. It touches on the human spirit and definitely gives one an alternate view of life in general, especially religion, cults and sex. I feel this is more of an adult book than a children's book due to the mature story lines. "
- "Stranger in a Strange Land was written back in 1961 but has acquired a cult following and is presumably the best science fiction book of the 20th Century. It has some religious aspects but with a sci-fi flair to it. I have read the book twice now, once as a young adult, and now as an older adult. I enjoyed the writing style and the moral lessons taught in this book."
- "What a cool book! I couldn't put it down because it's just too engrossing. The book was written a few decades ago so it's kind of dated, but it doesn't take away from the book. I liked the character development and found the plot intriguing! I recommend others read this as long as they're not sensitive or easily offended."
- "Stranger in a Strange Land tells a powerful story of a human male raised by Martians. Main character, Valentine Smith settles into Earth and tries to self teach himself how to conduct as a average human male. However, his abilities surpasses human's capability and because of his extraordinary gifts, he teaches fellow humans of superhuman skills, which is never done before."
- "I really enjoyed going through this book as it is such a different type of plot and concept. It is about a boy who is raised by Martians and then arrives to Earth leaving his mark. I really liked the writing and the characters and was very enthralled by the scene. "
- "I'm not totally sure if NPR has definitely recommended this book specifically, though it does look as if they have had at least some kind of feature or discussion regarding it. I would personally recommend every book by this author, who I think is exceptional in a number of ways, though I have to mention that perhaps this is not the best edition of this book. I think only a huge fan would really be that concerned about that kind of thing though. I personally recommend this author quite a bit, and this specific book as well, though perhaps slightly less strongly. "
- "This is a re-read for me. I am a big science fiction fan, but old ones, mostly. No fantasy. Just not my thing. Read this first at 19. It reads differently now that I am nearly 64 ( will you still need me, will you still feed me...) This is a classic. No sci-fi fan can claim to be well-read without this book under her belt. It’s pretty good, and stands the test of time. I recommend it. Not the BEST sci-fi novel, but pretty damn good. "
There are no comments yet!
- "I read this 25 years ago while I was in High School. This is and always has been one of my favorite works of Scifi in many years. I first read this over 20 years ago and at least twice since then. When it became available on Kindle I knew I had to have it in that venue. If you hav need read it DO SO! You will never forget the story."