This solution is ranked
in What are the best books about Sierra LeoneRead user opinions
in What are the best books that feature African safari and cultureRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in South AfricaRead user opinions
in What are the best books about child abuse and survivalRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs about artistsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with African charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs, biographies, and autobiographies about womenRead user opinions
in What are the best non-fiction memoirsRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read biographies and memoirsRead user opinions
in What are the best memoirs, biographies, and autobiographiesRead user opinions
What the community says about Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina
- "I still don't know what I think about Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina, even after reading it mere days ago. I thought it was an amazing and unbelievable narrative about the journey of a young girl. However I have traveled to Sierra Leone before, and I fell in love with parts of the country. I have a soft-spot in my heart for the region, and this book seemed to focus only on the negative. This girl is trying to build a life, and I admire that, but the book also paints Sierra Leone as a horrible place with no advantages. I'm glad for her, but I wish they could have talked a little more about the beauty of Sierra Leone."
- "This is an amazing, moving story that should be the subject of every middle and high-school girl's biography project. Michaela's determination and passion is as awe-inspiring as her beauty. She is born and the story begins in South Africa but moves to the US at age 8."
- "Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina is a fantastic memoir that detail the escape from Sierra Leone. The author's story is very inspirational and unbelievable what she went through. Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina has to be best books about child abuse and survival."
- "This is a brilliant book well written and leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat at all times. I only wish I realized there were African american characters in it. I went through three fourths of hte book before realizing that the character's weren't from Wales. It's also why I had to change my rating from 0 to 5 given that I thought it was a very wrongful depiction of wales culture."
- "Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina is the best memoir that I have read and I have read many. The novel really captured me in the retelling of the events, I felt very much a part of the story. I'm so thankfully that the ending turned out the way it did or I would have been rather negatively impacted. "
There are no comments yet!
- "I loved reading this book so so much. Stories of adversity are always heartwarming and hopeful. I enjoyed every second of this book. I loved reading her story of beating the odds to become a success. She was determined to have a good life and follow her dreams and reading her story was emotional and admirable. This isn't a memoir per say but it's still such a wonderful book."
There are no comments yet!