This solution is ranked
in What are the best roman à clef novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best worth-reading books with a depressed characterRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by authors who committed suicideRead user opinions
in What are the best books with stories about depression and mental illnessRead user opinions
in What are the best books with psychological themesRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by American womenRead user opinions
in What are the best books with manic depression and bi-polar themeRead user opinions
in What are the best books with mentally ill charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best books where a character descends into madnessRead user opinions
in What are the best mental hospital fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with Harper Perennial Olive and Legacy EditionsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with disturbing plotsRead user opinions
in What are the best books for every psychology studentRead user opinions
in What are the best books set in New York CityRead user opinions
in What are the best stream-of-consciousness novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books about self harm depression and suicideRead user opinions
in What are the best books with an alienation themeRead user opinions
in What are the best debut novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books in the Lisa Simpson book clubRead user opinions
in What are the best books for suicidal peopleRead user opinions
in What are the best books by authors under 30Read user opinions
in What are the best bildungsroman booksRead user opinions
in What are the best cult classicsRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books before you dieRead user opinions
in What are the best books by female authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best depressing booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books on lonelinessRead user opinions
in What are the best books written in beautiful proseRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in Gilmore Girls seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best psychological fiction booksRead user opinions
in What is the best fiction with feminist themesRead user opinions
in What are the best book list of Daria MorgendorfferRead user opinions
in What are the best must-have books for your bookshelfRead user opinions
in What are the best Books to read before collegeRead user opinions
in What are the best books for teensRead user opinions
What the community says about The Bell Jar
- "The characters are all bright and feel real, although they are all, in some way, slightly exaggerated to some extent. No one character stands out as "perfect" or "evil". Every character in the book has intentions and a range of emotions and reactions to what's around them. Not one character is like another. Even minor characters are given some back story and it is evident that the author put a lot of effort into making them feel lie real, fleshed out human beings. ""Grace, humor, and frankness about a young woman's depression. Her inner conflict about pursuing a career versus being a wife and having a family, and how those futures seemed to be mutually exclusive. The story follows Esther Greenwood who is brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under. "
- "The Bell Jar is a good story about a woman dealing with mental issues. I have a friend who is struggling with depression and I found that this book has helped me understand his plight a little more. The story was interesting and I would recommend this book to people who are interested in this topic."
- "The Bell Jar gives a glimpse into the world of mental illness. Sylvia Plath takes us on a journey of a woman's descent into depression. I believe that Esther Greenwood is actually Sylvia Plath's alter ego. This was book was brilliantly written and I would highly recommend this book to others."
- ""The Bell Jar" is a novel that I came across while browsing for books one day and after reading a brief synopsis I decided I just needed to give it a try. The book was written by an American author named Sylvia Plath and details a character's descent into mental illness. This is not a book to be taken lightly as it deals with a very serious topic. It is very well written and quite haunting in areas as the main character is so realistic and fleshed out. I'd definitely recommend the book if you're willing to delve into something somewhat out of the ordinary."
There are no comments yet!
- "Was pleasantly surprised that though this book is about the author's depression it is not a depressing book to read and is well written. Matter of fact there were places when I actually laughed and I enjoyed reading about her battle and recovery from her mental illness."
- "The Bell Jar is an interesting book that follows the author around New York and her ever growing descent into depression. It's funny that the book is written in such a humorous fashion that it seems almost odd that it is about depression. But, perhaps, those who appear to be the most happy are the ones who are most in need of help. It's a sad tale when you realize the author killed herself after the book was written. Such a masterful piece is definitely worth a look. I really enjoyed it for what it was, and I gained valuable insight into the mind that is Bipolar disorder."
- "I always wanted to read this book since others have recommended it to me, and I'm glad I did. The Bell Jar is a classic and beloved book, and I see why. It deals with the author's experience with mental issue and depression. The time she spends in New York impacts who she is as a person and as a writer. "
- "The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is unforgettable. It really highlights the struggle with mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. It's depressing for sure, but is one of the best stream-of-consciousness books written. It sets you right into the complexity of the mind and how the main character slowly loses her sanity. It's heartbreaking, but raw."
- "As someone who suffers from a mental illness (depression), I desperately needed a book like this. Sylvia Plath is an incredibly talented author and the depth with which she describes and paints Esther's mental illness makes it almost seem semi-autobiographical, which it may very well be. This book should not be seen as a "downer" as it offers some understanding and solace for those dealing with something similar."
- "If you're into alienation at all, then the level of emotional isolation this book provides is right up your ally. This book gave me an "on the edge of my seat" type of anxiety, that was enjoyable, if that makes sense."
There are no comments yet!
- "This is the type of book that grabs you by the soul and worms in to affect how you view the world. It is saddening to realize the fact this book was a thinly disguised tale of the author's own battle with mental illness. It gives a voice to the pain and difficulties that come with depression. It is both sad but with a touch of grace. ""I will say I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. At first I felt like I waited too long in my life to read it, but now I understand it was at exactly the right time. Some people can take a lot out of this, but even those who can't should enjoy the story. Great classic.""I was thinking strongly about killing myself last year, and this book got me out of my slump. It came along just at the right time! I think anyone who is going through periods of depression should check it out. "
- "The Bell Jar is probably one of Sylvia Plath's most well known books, despite it's harrowing topic. Knowing that Sylvia Plath had a troublesome and difficult life, I wonder how much of The Bell Jar is actually autobiographical. Ms. Plath's ability to development the depression and madness of Esther Greenwood is so strong to the point of being disturbing. However, I couldn't tear myself away from reading this book."
- "The style of work that is present in this book is surprisingly rare. I really nejoyed this novel because the story reminds me of where I lived growing up. My family has a history of depression and this story focuses on that. Good length and some emotional parts got to me. ""I don't really think this fits what I am looking for honestly. I think the solution does a good job of trying to give me what I want but overall it's kinda eh in my view."
- "Did you know Sylvian Plath wrote novels? I sure didn't! Apparently there's a small, dedicated fan base to her novels, and this one comes highly recommended. For good reason, too. The Bell Jar is exactly what you'd expect from the poet, and it's a deep, almost painful read. It was worth it, and Sylvia definitely gained a new fan after this one."
- "I loved this book - I can relate to so many things and really encapsulates what it feels like to be depressed. It is humorous at times, which makes this novel a great read."
There are no comments yet!
- "The best books mentioned in Gilmore Girls series include "The Bell Jar", which is a book that tells the story of a young woman living in New York who battles depression. Boasting an average customer rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 1,395 Amazon customer reviews, I would strongly recommend this book.""Amazon is where I go to read any book reviews. They are a trusted site and I believe that this is a good book for this problem. Amazon not just only shows you rating from people that have purchased (verified) but they also give you an option to preview the book if you have a kindle or kindle app. "
There are no comments yet!
- "I don't know if I would say The Bell Jar consists of mainly feminist themes but it is a must read and a classic for a reason. It follows the story of a woman and her fall into insanity. Her breakdown is intense and emotionally charged and the way Sylvia Plath writes will leave you drained but in a good way""I think that this is a good solution, as Sylvia Plath is a well know feminist and also a writer. I can see this book deals with some of the issues young women of the time might have to deal with."
- "What a riveting book. This isn't one I want to throw away after I am done, this is one that will sit on bookshelf, and I will check in with from time to time. It touched my soul deeper than I expected, as I heavily identified with the main character.""I have always enjoyed the works of Sylvia Plath and I feel that every self-respecting book owner should have at least one of hers on their shelves. This entry is as good as any, even if it can be a bit of a tough read."
- "I think this is an excellent choice for material that young adults should read before college. The years of college and the high school years which lead into them can be very taxing on a teenager. As I recent college graduate, I know of this firsthand. Reading material like Plath's, one rich with emotion, in an environment where I could critically process it was very beneficial. In a day where depression in Americans is rising across the board, The Bell Jar is a book I looked at so I could face and understand this. "
- #23 of 128
in What are the best books for teens"An autobiographical masterpiece as a young woman slipping slowly into the grips of insanity and you will feel yourself drawn into this young woman's torment. A must read and a must have for your personal library as it will haunt you and draw you back again and again."