This solution is ranked
in What are the best books written by female Canadian writersRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books for college-bound readersRead user opinions
in What are the best dystopian books with romanceRead user opinions
in What are the best Margaret Atwood booksRead user opinions
in What are the best literary science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best sci-fi books with female main charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best non-romance novels with female protagonistsRead user opinions
in What are the best novels with political themesRead user opinions
in What are the best Amazon Prime audiobooksRead user opinions
in What are the best books about totalitarianismRead user opinions
in What are the best books recommended by the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific CircleRead user opinions
in What are the best 80s and 90s young adult booksRead user opinions
in What are the best fantasy booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books about censorshipRead user opinions
in What are the best books published by Vintage ClassicsRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best women's fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books from the Crash Course literature reading listRead user opinions
in What are the best novels tackling motherhoodRead user opinions
in What are the best Gift ideas for your office Secret SantaRead user opinions
in What are the best feminist booksRead user opinions
in What are the best biopunk booksRead user opinions
in What are the best sci-fi and fantasy booksRead user opinions
in What is the best fiction with feminist themesRead user opinions
What the community says about The Handmaid's Tale
- "If you want to understand what a world without women's freedoms is like, this is the book for you! Dark, twisted, and absolutely engrossing... you wont want to put the book down. From the very beginning you are drawn into the lives of the handmaidens, and weirdly also drawn into the lives of the mistresses who are part of the abuse going on in the society. It's closdly resembles the show black mirror, being able to show us what society would be like if one factor was either added or removed. Fantastic! Definitely recommend"
- "The Handmaid's Tale is a MUST read for anybody but I would say if you are college bound it's the best book you could read. There is a strong sense of independence and individualism that is found in the books that I think make it a strong lead for best fiction book, especially for those heading to college."
There are no comments yet!
- "This is a great solution to the topic. This is a New York Times Best Seller and while it has been around a while it is still loved today. It is an amazing story that is loved by many. While all books are subjective to being the best this is one that many people have agreed on that it is one of the bed written by the author. "
- "I was intrigued by the book after I saw the TV series. I wasn't disappointed at all and I dare say that the book is better, as always. Though it helped me visualize what was happening more because I've seen the series already but to read it being described in the book has a whole new horrific impact for me."
- "This history book is very interesting. This book is based on real story and its described so vividly, and it has a very unique style of writing. I can say that this is a book that is worthy reading it, and knowing this story, problems and challenges of that time."
- "I needed a new book to read, and being a fan of fantasy and dystopian novels, I came across The Handmaid's Tale. I really liked the spin this book had on a dystopia, resulting in a theocratic government rather then zombies or whatever, and I really enjoyed my time reading the book. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the genre looking for something new.""The Handmaid's Tale is a classic in the dystopian fantasy genre and deservingly so. It's not just a political screed as some have characterized it. It's a rich, literary book with much to say about the human condition."
- "Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now.... Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and literary tour de force."
- "If you are a fan of the show, then you have to read The Handmaid's Tale! I'm one of those people who feels like I am part of the world anstory is set in when I read, and you just don't get that with TV like you do with a book. Atwood really makes you feel like you are trapped in an alternate reality."
- #6 of 285
in What are the best fiction books"The Handmaid's Tale is a fantastic read, especially given real-life current events. The book appears to be aimed at young women, but don't let that discourage you from reading! It's a very compelling read that highlights important issues. This book really helped me reexamine how I perceive certain events and situations.""I found The Handmaid's Tale to be a gripping work of fiction of a dystonian future in which women have little to zero rights. I was a great introspection into what has been and what could be."
- "Really good! I have noticed that men and women react to it differently, which is very interesting to me as a third-generation feminist. Men tend to read it as a far-fetched fantasy. Women find it less far-fetched, and feel it cutting very close to the nerve."
- "The main character, Offred (literally of Fred named after the Commander she serves) is the perfect blend of weak and strong. She tells us of her past and says, “When we think of the past it's the beautiful things we pick out. We want to believe it was all like that.” But her life is not beautiful. And Atwood straddles the line of past and present, sending back and forth in a way that keeps you wanting more. Just as Offred wants more. Just as we all want more for ourselves and the generations of women coming after us."
- "Not the best gift by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps Jean from accounting may secretly desire to get a book for Christmas, but everyone else? Nope you got it. Getsomebody a bottle of bourbon and get the party started, not this."
- #10 of 46
in What are the best feminist books"As a guy, I never would have picked this up on my own. My wife read it and asked me to read it too. All I can say is wow. I could not put this book down. There are so many things in this book that are actual parallels to things happening today. For a book that was first released in the 80's this is quite relevant today. Guys, forget your manly pride and give this a read. You'll be glad you did.""I was looking for a feminist book that peaked my interest. After searching online for a while, I found The Handmaid's Tale and was pleasantly surprised."
- #14 of 16
in What are the best biopunk books"Biopunk seems like a genre that isn't very popular but is a subgrenre that really interests people. This book is actually really popular, has a recognizable cover, is affordable, and is actually rated on amazon charts. This can easily fulfill this topic with ease.""This genre is relatively small and unknown but is still quite liked by those familiar with it. I think this book can easily fulfill this topic as it covers almost all aspects of the topic being asked."
- "The book was one of the best fantasy books for a long time. But the reason that the book became famous is that the TV series named same as the book The Handmaid's Tale. People who does not know this book may prefer reading it after watching the TV series.""The Handmaid's Tale is one of the best sci-fi books written this century. It is hitting a little close to come with the current political situation. Now is a great time to read it before you watch the show on Netflix."
There are no comments yet!