This solution is ranked
in What are the best books about star-crossed loversRead user opinions
in What are the best books according to Hamza Yusuf HansonRead user opinions
in What are the best books that inspired Black Sails TV seriesRead user opinions
in What are the best books with Greek mythologyRead user opinions
in What are the best mythology books for middle school studentsRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read to sound interesting and smartRead user opinions
in What are the best epic poetryRead user opinions
in What are the best adventure fantasy and science fiction novels before 1923Read user opinions
in What are the best books related to GreeceRead user opinions
in What are the best books about mythologyRead user opinions
in What are the most influential books in historyRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended books by Clifton FadimanRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended books by David BowieRead user opinions
in What are the best works written during ancient timesRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned by Chris HedgesRead user opinions
in What are the best public domain booksRead user opinions
What the community says about The Iliad
- "This is a classic for a reason. I read The Iliad in college, and it's a truly deep and interesting story. As for star-crossed lovers, Priam and Helen are the original Romeo and Juliet. This is one of the foundational works of western literature. This cannot at all be passed up."
- "Homer's Iliad follows the story of great Greek warrior Achilles and his conflict with Agamemnon during the Trojan War. Also called "The Song of Ilion", to call this ancient poem a classic would be an understatement. This piece of literature is one of the oldest works ever discovered, dating back to the 8th century BC, and has provided much insight to historians and readers alike in understanding what history was like during that era. This is a must-have book on anyone's shelf."
- "Having read the Odyssey in high school, I felt it was time to explore what is undoubtedly one of the greatest classics of all time. Homer's Iliad is a story telling master piece and it's reflection on the Trojan war has provided one of the greatest epics of all time. Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't read yet.""This is probably one of the most important pieces of Greek literature you can read. More in depth than I thought when I first opened it, the poem goes into great detail of the Trojan war and the horrors and battles that went along with it. IF you haven't read this, it is definitely a MUST READ!"
- #2 of 12
in What are the best epic poetry"There's no way that The Illiad could not make the list for best epic poetry. It's certainly one of the most influential poems and anyone - any student of literature, philosophy, history, language - just about anyone interested deepening their knowledge about our roots - should read this. I can't say enough about it. It can be work getting through the text (it's not always accessible without a bit of work), but the effort is worth it. I remember the first time reading this for class and then reading it again in grad school. My appreciation for the work has changed over the years, and deepened. It should be on everyone's shelf. "
- "Outstanding!! 5 stars. A must read. The Iliad tells the story of Achilles, the greatest warrior-champion of the Greeks, and his conflict with his leader Agamemnon. Amazing characters. Would highly recommend."
- "I can't name too many books that were written more than 2000 years ago, but The Iliad is one of them. That this epic has endured for so long is a testament to its influence throughout history, almost unequaled by any other book. I had read some of this in high school and feel that I can appreciate it more now. The translation provided is invaluable and one of the better features of this particular edition."