This solution is ranked
in What are the best books recommended for men by EsquireRead user opinions
in What are the best novels with islands as settingRead user opinions
in What are the best books by Ernest HemingwayRead user opinions
in What are the best books written in 1952Read user opinions
in What are the best books that feature old peopleRead user opinions
in What are the best short novels (any genre)Read user opinions
in What are the best nautical and naval booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books in the 1950sRead user opinions
in What are the best Pulitzer Prize winners for fictionRead user opinions
in What are the best books about natureRead user opinions
in What are the best books about the great outdoorsRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by authors who committed suicideRead user opinions
in What are the best books under 200 pagesRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read early American novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books to read for freshman year English classRead user opinions
in What are the best books by authors in the Midnight in Paris movieRead user opinions
in What are the best high lexile books for young adultsRead user opinions
in What are the best books for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best novelettesRead user opinions
in What are the best short novels for adultsRead user opinions
What the community says about The Old Man and the Sea
- "The Old Man and the Sea is great, classic book for everyone. Hemingway is one of the most famous authors for a reason, his work is good. The book is very classic, but in a good way. It's all about man vs nature, man vs self, and teaches you never to take anything for granted. Highly recommend!"
There are no comments yet!
- "For anyone looking for a "short" classic novel, you can't beat The Old Man and The Sea. Coming in at 128 pages it's a quick read and it's Hemingway so it's a joy to read. Don't let the length fool you, it's a classic for a reason, it's filled with views on life and philosophies to think about.""I'm a fan of classic literature, and wanted to read a short novel. I came upon this while searching online. I read it and it was really interesting. I enjoyed reading this the entire way through."
- "The Old Man and the Sea is an Ernest Hemingway classic that anyone with an appreciation for classic literature should take the time to check out. It tells a tale of man against nature that is quite enthralling. I always try to revisit this from time to time and I never feel as though I've wasted my time."
- "The Old Man and the Sea is Hemmingway at his best. A seemingly simple tome, it actually explores with depth some fundamental questions about the choices we make in life and the struggles we create as a means of creating our own myths. I could read his prose forever--sharp, stark, and full of life. He was a major influence for a reason and there is a sentence on every page of this novella that I could read over and over again, finding new beauty each time."
- "Sometimes, I wonder how they come up with these obscure topics, but I just so happen to know a little about this one. "The Old Man and the Sea" was an excellent book, and quintessential Hemingway. If you consider yourself a fan of good literature, you'd be a fool to pass this one up; I highly recommend it!"
- "If your young adult is a high lexile reader this book is a must read and an excellent introduction to the classic authors. This is one of Hemingway's best works, and has a wonderful message of triumph and friendship that should speak well to younger readers. It is a novella so doesn't have the overwhelming length of some of the other classics."
- #11 of 128
in What are the best books for teens"I'll never forget the first time I read The Old Man and the Sea. I was in high school, and it was required reading. I didn't expect to enjoy it, but it remains one of the greatest books I had ever read."
- #12 of 16
in What are the best novelettes