This solution is ranked
in What are the best novels that are mainly set in hotelsRead user opinions
in What are the best supernatural thriller booksRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended thrillersRead user opinions
in What are the best surreal psychedelic mind bending novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read horror novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best scariest books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best American novels adapted into moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best timeless supernatural fictionRead user opinions
in What are the most frightening books by Stephen KingRead user opinions
in What are the best ghost novels of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended books written by Stephen KingRead user opinions
in What are the best books mentioned in The PagemasterRead user opinions
in What are the best Stephen King novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best horror suspense novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books recommended for men by EsquireRead user opinions
in What are the best novels that feature monstersRead user opinions
in What are the best dark books of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best horror booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books featured in Horror: 100 Best BooksRead user opinions
in What are the best intense books that are difficult to finishRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction novels with a writer characterRead user opinions
in What are the best brainwash themed fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best supernatural booksRead user opinions
in What are the best novels that feature dysfunctional familiesRead user opinions
in What are the best scariest novels ever writtenRead user opinions
in What are the best books similar to Twin PeaksRead user opinions
in What are the best pagemaster book compilationRead user opinions
in What are the best fantasy novels published in the 1970sRead user opinions
in What are the best books with a better movie adaptationRead user opinions
in What are the best books with mentally ill charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read thriller novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about The Shining
- "If you grew up in the 80's and you were prone to being frightened by the unknown then you know the suspense filled novel by Stephen King, The Shining. The story takes place in a eery empty hotel that is closed for the winter due to the winter conditions. It is the perfect backdrop to the tale of slipping into madness that unfolds. Although not a horror movie by traditional standards, the elements of suspense are indeed terrifying."
- "While King didn't see eye to eye on Kubrick's interpretation, here, in its original form, is all the madness in its glory. Back when no one thought anything about an older black man getting real friendly with a very young white boy with luxuriously feminine hair, this delightful thriller remains one of my favorite go to books when I'm feeling lonely and homicidal. Which, if we're being honest, when am I not? I love old hotels, too!"
- "I love the thrill of reading a book and being scared, not like watching a movie. In a book you are eager and scared at the same time to turn the page. The Shining had me on the edge of my seat. I would close the book a few times because it got me scared. I almost didn't want to finish it, but I couldn't stay away. It is so much different than watching a movie because you become a character in the book and you feel what they are feeling. It consumes you. It was definitely scary.""The Shining is the quintessential cosmic horror novel from Stephen King. The novel contains a lot of material that the movie doesn't cover, some of it much scarier than anything you've seen. I'm not sure I would call it one of the scariest books of all time though."
- "Having seen the shining and speaking to many of my friends who have read the novel, this story is a great solution to a timeless supernatural fiction. The story has stayed relevant since its conception and is still referenced frequently today. The focus on the supernatural may not be as strong as the topic suggests and that is why I rated this a 4 instead of a 5."
- "The Shining is regarded as one of Stephen King's most frightening works. Although it doesn't deal with ghosts in the traditional sense, the terrifying spirits inhabiting the father of the story make it worth the mention. The characters are realistic and complex, and the story is all together horrifying."
- "This is one Stephen King book that I always recommend to my friends. It is by far the most entertaining and scariest novel that I have ever read. I always enjoy reading this whenever I want to be spooked."
- "This book, "The Shining" is definitely one of the best dark books of all time. It was a truly scary story when it was first published in the 1970s. It is also one of the few books that was made into a successful movie that captured everything the book was about and more. "
- #4 of 152
in What are the best horror books"The horror genre has a huge selection of classic novels. There are older examples like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or Bram Stoker's Dracula, but among the more recent examples is Stephen King's The Shining. Most people are more familiar with the film version, but the book is even better and much, much scarier!"
- "Horror: 100 Best Books, is a chilling list. It includes some of the greatest horror novels ever written, and you cannot have a list like this without The Shining. This is one of Stephen Kings best works, and in my opinion, the best thing on this list! I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in horror!"
- "Definitely falls into the "intense books that are hard to finish" category. I'm a huge fan of the Stanley Kubrick movie adaptation, so I knew I had to real the Stephen King novel on which the movie is based on at some point. The novel was for me a page turner until 2/3rds of the story, and then it got... lets say that to weird for my tastes. I've tried finishing the books several times but I just can' seem to make it past the last few chapters. Oh well, all work and no play... :P"
- "The Shining is a Stephen King classic. I am as much terrified now to read it as I was 25 years ago. This is not the book to read if you live by yourself and read at night before going to sleep. I have been known to be startled and just scared beyond belief as I read this book. I even resorted to looking in all rooms and closets to make sure noone was there. This is one of Stephen King's most amazingly well written books ever!"