This solution is ranked
in What are the best classic cyberpunk booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books that feature teleportationRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult books with star on the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best science fiction novels by MasterworksRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended science fiction novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best 1950's classic science fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best cyberpunk booksRead user opinions
in What are the best Science fiction novelsRead user opinions
What the community says about The Stars My Destination
- "If you are looking for a book that details a lawless society very different from the one you are used to today then look no further then The Stars My Destination. Sure, it's a much older book, but it's written by an author that helped to pioneer the Sci-fi genre and it's interesting to see how the author viewed a lawless society and how we would perhaps view one today by comparison. You get a sense of the different mindset from then to now and you also get a better idea what people considered lawless then as opposed to now.""The is book is a definite science fiction classic. From the beginning the story engulfs you into a world far away. The internal conflict that main character goes through is moving and personal."
- "This is my all-time favorite novel by one of my all-time favorite authors. Alfred Bester really hit the nail on the head, and was so far ahead of his time, when he published The Stars My Destination. His grim portrait of the future foreshadowed cyberpunk and set the stage for tech noir for generations to come. I cannot recommend this book enough."
- "I think this solution is pretty lame. :-) Considering the author, and also his previous work, I would like to see a better description of his book. Some mention of the author's role in the science fiction world would be appropriate, along with some specifics about the story line, and how well it fits within the science fiction genre."
- "I bought this book for my husband who is an avid reader who loves to read "classic" books. I found this book in a blog under the best recommended science fiction novels. My husband could not put this book down. I actually had to read it after because he wouldn't stop raving about it. I must say, this book should be considered a "classic" and handed out in high school classes! Great book."
- "Science fiction is one of my favorite topics, especially science fiction from the Cold War era. It is so interesting to the see how the threat of outside invasion influenced the writing of people at this time. I read this book along with my history professor and we had a great time discussing the intricacies of the novel as it pertained to that age. "
- #14 of 23
in What are the best cyberpunk books
- "The Stars My Destination is one of the weirdest classic science fiction book. The story revolves around the technology of teleportation and its impact on the society in many ways. The protagonist is a very interesting and memorable character which will become imprinted in your memory for many years after finishing the book. However, don't expect to read a masterpiece and don't start with the sky high expectations. "