This solution is ranked
in What are the best historical fiction books with black leadsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with sentence as titleRead user opinions
in What are the best African-American booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books for African-American according to HuffingtonRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read early American novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best multi-ethnic American literary worksRead user opinions
in What are the best books with poetic titlesRead user opinions
in What are the best reading list for Black Lives Matter movementRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read books for 2018 according to EsquireRead user opinions
in What are the best black girl books included on Marley Dias' book driveRead user opinions
in What are the best contemporary books written by Southern authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best Virago Modern Classics booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by black authorsRead user opinions
in What are the best of Southern literatureRead user opinions
in What are the best Americana fiction booksRead user opinions
in What is the best fiction with feminist themesRead user opinions
in What are the best books written by American womenRead user opinions
in What are the best Southern booksRead user opinions
What the community says about Their Eyes Were Watching God
- "This is such a great book for any audience. A true story of love with all the ups and downs that live seems to bring about. This book will have you in tears many times, but will replace those tears with laughter many times. If you are looking for a great love story, that is wonderfully written and in a amazing setting, pick up this book. You will not be disappointed. "
- "I tried and failed several times to read this book, a paperback copy that I picked up at a thrift store several years ago. Finally, my senior in high school son was given it as an assignment. I explained that I'd tried to read it as recently as November (two months ago) and failed BUT I wanted to hear what he thought about the book. Then I read the group assignment he and his friends wrote, which was about the use of water as a certain type of symbolism (I won't be more specific so as not to provide spoilers). At that time, I learned the plot of the book, including several important plot spoilers. Even so, I was determined to "get through it" and bought the audio book, performed by Ruby Dee. It was absolutely mesmerizing. It was only about six hours long, which was slower reading that I normally do (I followed along with the Kindle version, because we owned that too) but was always trying to get back to the book when distracted by life. I found the performance to be riveting. I could actually understand what was happening in the story. I found the writing amazing (this makes me want to "read" something else of hers, preferably performed by Ruby Dee). I loved the use of personification. I loved the descriptions. I loved many things about it. In the end, I realized that sometimes you need to look at (or listen to) things in a different way. By listening to this rather than trying to read it, I was able to fully appreciate a brilliant book. Would I recommend the book itself to a friend? No. But I'd highly recommend the audio version. Also excellent in the audio performance category: Katherine Kellgren and Victor Garber."
- "This is a book about a very enduring love story. This story is very heartfelt and meaningful. I found this book to be very interesting and enlightening at the same time. The way the story is told, to me, is somewhat poetic. I really enjoyed this book and took something away with it when I was finished reading it. I encourage you to purchase this book, you wont be disappointed. "
- "I tried, but failed to read this book multiple times. It wasnt so much my lack of interest in the book, but rather my lack of time. I am very glad i finally found time however since this was a very good read. I later found out that many highschool students are being asked to read this book, so I am very glad that others will get to read it as well. "
There are no comments yet!
- "Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston is one of the most important novels I have ever read. My book club recommended it and I got it on my Kindle. I though the book was masterfully written, poignant, and moving. It emphasizes our shared humanity and takes on many difficult issues in the process such as infidelity, poverty, mercy killing, racism, female degradation, and unconditional love. I highly suggest you read it."
- "This book is a great classic. I bought it for my youngest son who is finishing high school this year. There is a reason this book is on every senior's reading list, it is a timeless classic. The description, the imagery, the vernacular, everything about this book is beautifully written. The symbolism is mesmerizing throughout. Although it was a bit slow in the beginning it does pick up and become an incredible read by the time you finish the book. I highly recommend it. "
- "If one is looking for the best of Southern literature, then look no further than Zora Neale Hurston's classic, " Their Eyes Were Watching God". I have now read this book several times and I would highly recommend the book to even the most casual reader. This book really shows what it was like to live in the South as an African American woman when discrimination was much more prevalent. I found that I had to periodically take breaks from reading the books as I was so overwhelmed with the experiences that the main character had to suffer through. I still carry this book in my heart with me as it was so powerful and emotional."
- "I read this book in my senior high school English class and absolutely loved it. Zora Neale Hurston paints an amazingly vivid picture of 20th Century America and the trials and triumphs of an African American woman who won't let the society around her control her. Great characters, great setting, and a great story that ties it all together. If you're looking for Americana Fiction, this book has to be on your list. ""Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of the best Americana fiction boos that you can acquire. It is for fans of love stories, and this one is about a Southern love story. It is a critically acclaimed book, and you will not be able to put it down until you are done with it!"
- "I found myself interested in checking out the book because I had found out it was being reprinted after all this time after falling out of favor due to the rejection of a strong female protagonist. The fact that there was such a rejection of it at first made me wonder why after reading it, regardless of your politics the story is fun and full of twists and turns you would never expect. "
- "I read this book in high school for English class. I loved everything about this book. It shows the life of Janie and her many relationships with men. I also watched the movie and it was really sad when she had to kill her husband because he got rabies. She seemed to really be in love with him but it ended tragically. This book is a classic!"
- #14 of 27
in What are the best Southern books