This solution is ranked
in What are the best YA books featuring a car accidentRead user opinions
in What are the best contemporary novels with disabled heroesRead user opinions
in What are the best books with selectively mute charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels with deaf and mute leadsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with deaf, mute, and speechless charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best romance books for young adultsRead user opinions
in What are the best romance novels for young adultsRead user opinions
in What are the best romance books for adults and young adultsRead user opinions
What the community says about What I Didn't Say
- "It's so odd to find a book that treats someone with a disability with any shred of dignity. "What I Didn't Say" does that, and more. It's one of the few books my son, in a wheelchair, actually enjoyed. Most are just so cloying and condescending, but Keary manages to avoid that and writes from the heart."
- "This is a love story about a couple of high schoolers, one of whom has lost their voice in a car accident. It follows the victim of the accident back to his home and the reader is exposed to a large family full of support for the guy. He eventually builds up his confidence and completes the story by finding love. The writing was a bit juvenile."
- "Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again. When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it."
- "I really enjoy the extra visibility the disability community has been getting, and the literary world now has many offerings with differently-abled characters. What I Didn't Say offers that sort of diversity as well as plenty of compelling relationships--not only romantic, but also in ways that show the importance of community and family. Haunting and unique, this is highly recommended YA for those seeking something a bit off the beaten path."
- "Jack and Samantha have a strong connection that develops into a romantic relationship. The story tells the story of their relationship after a car incident involving Jack. He ended up with a t-post through his throat and his biggest regret about it all is what he never said to Samantha. Now, he will never be able to talk again. She then helps him realize that not talking is not the worse thing in the world and helps him through it all. It is a very good read and highly recommended.""What a beautiful story - What I Didn't Say is the tale of a high school senior who loses the ability to speak due to a car accident. He is not able to tell the love of his life how he feels. I recommend this book to young adults who enjoy a nice, romantic story which seems real and gives you a lot to think about."