This solution is ranked
in What are the best books about eating disorderRead user opinions
in What are the best young adult eating disorder fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best New Hampshire setting booksRead user opinions
in What are the best recommended YA fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best fiction books on self injury and overcoming itRead user opinions
in What are the best novels with winter in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best YA books to read when boredRead user opinions
in What are the best books with psychological themesRead user opinions
in What are the best ALA award nominees of 2010Read user opinions
in What are the best books about teen angstRead user opinions
in What are the best must-read dark young adult novelsRead user opinions
in What are the best books with beautiful titlesRead user opinions
in What are the best books about self harm depression and suicideRead user opinions
in What are the best mental hospital fiction booksRead user opinions
in What are the best novels about real life issues for teensRead user opinions
in What are the best depressing booksRead user opinions
in What are the best books that have 'girl' in the titleRead user opinions
in What are the best books with mentally ill charactersRead user opinions
in What are the best coldness-related book titlesRead user opinions
in What are the best teen books about real problemsRead user opinions
in What are the best books for teenage girlsRead user opinions
What the community says about Wintergirls
- "I found this book to be heartbreaking and I was not aware of how much girls focus on their weight and their image that they could do this to themselves. It is so sad to really read about this and to experience it along with the main character. I think it gives insight to anyone on what girls go through, their mindset and how they feel. I believe it is a must read, especially for parents."
- "Wintergirls is a chilling disturbing story about a teenage girl who is dealing with anorexia. She had a best friend that died mysteriously and she has to deal with that. Her struggles about how many calories to eat , 100, 200, 300 calories, or will I gain too much weight is unbelievably sad. "
- "I don't want to live in a world where I can't just a book by it's title or cover! And this book has both! Wintergirls definitely has "winter" in the title, but more than that I think it's going to be a fun and indulgent read! Banish summer forever, bring on the WINTER!"
- "This book is story of holding on to hope when all else seems lost. I love stories like this, although I find it somewhat depressing, but I love the emotion of once someone overcomes their internal battle. This story is about a girl with bulimia carrying on after her friend died of bulimia. I first noticed it by the cover, it is a very engaging rendition of a girl's face, which I assume is Cassie, the main character."
- "A very moving young adult novel. This book tells the story of a young girl with an eating disorder, dealing with a friend's death, in stark reality. Anderson's writing style was difficult for me to keep up with, but the story was worth the effort. This story is intended for older teenagers, but adults will likely be engrossed as well."
- "The title initially caught my eye. I'm glad I gave this book a try because it was really good. At the same time it was heartbreaking to learn about eating disorders and how far people are willing to go."
- "Wintergirls is darkly beautiful in it's theme and storytelling. You feel like you are inside the mind of this desperate girl who is struggling to hold on to hope. It can help you empathize with others in her position, but you may need to read a fun lighthearted book after you finish this one. "
- "Growing up in America, struggles with self-identity were prevalent. My wife struggled with these sort of issues and reading this book together allowed us to bond and communicate about new experiences. Connecting with my wife over this book has been such an incredible experience. "
There are no comments yet!
- "Wintergirls is a teen book that tells the story of two friends that deal with serious problems teens are facing in real life today. The story shows the dangers of bulimia and helps warn teens what the outcome can be. Wintergirls deals with how a friend copes with the death of another friend that she feels responsible for. Wintergirls is a good book to help give teens an avenue of advice without information coming directly from an adult. "
- "t's taken me a long time to read a book by Laurie Halse Anderson....but she's definitely going on the must-read list. In Wintergirls, Anderson does what gives me toe-curls when I'm reading fiction-- an arresting, fascinating unreliable narrator who gives you entryway into what its like to experience the world outside of the "norm." Lia's best friend, Cassie, died alone in a hotel and now Lia's parents are tip-toeing around her, checking up on how much she eats, and forcing her to go to therapy sessions early. Lia plays the dutiful daughter, but Cassie's ghost is haunting her, taunting her about how much she eats. Soon Lia is nuking food in the microwave so the kitchen will smell, but burying the food so her parents won't know she isn't eating"