This solution is ranked
in What are the best Tim Robbins moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best Morgan Freeman moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best movies of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best favorite movies you've seenRead user opinions
in What are the best Stephen King book to movie adaptationsRead user opinions
in What are the best drama moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best movies with iconic speechesRead user opinions
in What are the best crime moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best must see moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best movies with epic monologuesRead user opinions
in What are the best quality movies on ExodusRead user opinions
in What are the best books with a better movie adaptationRead user opinions
in What are the best moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best short stories of all timeRead user opinions
What the community says about The Shawshank Redemption
- "This is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. A prison break story with many modern twists. The good guys win and the bad guys get their just deserts. Very satisfying, especially these days when many movies favor ambiguous morals in the characters and open endings that can leave one high and dry. I love the marriage of figaro, the opera that Tim Robbins plays to the whole prison from the warden's office, in a come-what-may move! Although you can watch this for free on national TV channels sometimes, I like watching it here because it has not been cut for language in some of the very critical parts. This is one of Tim Robbin and Freeman's best. A real surprise from Steven King. Highly recommended!""What could I possibly add to the hundreds of reviews done on this splendid movie that would be of interest or benefit to a reader? Only this: the last 20 minutes of this film are worth the whole of it; so beautiful in it's meaning that I have watched it over and over, because of how it affects me. A Friendship so special that it becomes the "bridge over troubled water" for one who has all but given up in despair across the miles from another whose sprit refuses to be broken or maimed and rises above it all; whole and seemingly unaffected by the horrific prison experiences."
- "The Shawshank Redemption is an excellent movie. I saw this well after it was released and didn't think it could possibly live up to the hype, but it really, really did. Just an exceptional movie, one of the best ever. Unexpected and touching in a way you wouldn't expect with the best performances from Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman."
- "This Academy Award-winning movie is easily the greatest adaptation of a Stephen King novel to date, and easily stands in and of itself as a great film. Its basic premise is about a man who is wrongfully imprisoned for the murder of his wife and her secret lover, the trials and tribulations he faces, the people he meets, the friends he makes, and ultimately how to persist even in the worst of situations. This is an emotionally powerful film, with excellent performances from the entire cast, most notably Morgan Freeman in quite possibly the greatest role of his entire career. This is a definite must-watch."
- "This one is an oldie but a goodie. I remember watching this film with my dad when I was young and of course I couldn't understand a lick of what was going on. I just recently rewatched this as an adult and I swear I felt the trembling in my soul at Freeman's monologue at the very end when he escapes to freedom. I won't spoil what he said but man it was so moving I swear I cried a little!"
- "My parents have tell me that this movie is a nice one. But I didnt know where to watch it for free. I learn about my bestfriend that its available in exodus. When I chcked it out, for real, The Shawshank Redemption is availabel! But its streaming only bec. link can not copy, dunno why :( already on the middle part but my internet suck :( will continue trying watching the film at night..."
- "One of my all time favorite "bittersweet, feel good about the human spirit and condition. Some of the finest acting (and oratory skills from Freeman) you'll ever see, superb plot, screenplay, directing, etc. Morgan Freeman is one of the finest actors of our time and Tim Robbins shone as the "good guy" character--well that's MY opinion, even if a bunch of critics didn't necessarily think so. Certainly on my all-time top 10 list. I often wonder how this film was nominated for so MANY Academy Awards and didn't win a single one. Just goes to show you..."
- #16 of 28
in What are the best movies"I feel this movie touches on so many levels. The despair a person can feel to literally have your freedom stripped away from you. To be forced in a cage illustrating the height of societies depravity. I feel it explores how a man can have his very humanity dissolved and yet find some form of redemption through friendship and fellowship"