This solution is ranked
in What are the best love stories of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best movies set in New YorkRead user opinions
in What are the best Romance moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best musical moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best Oscar winning moviesRead user opinions
in What are the best movies based on Broadway musicalsRead user opinions
in What are the best movies of all timeRead user opinions
in What are the best Cheap Gift Ideas for GirlsRead user opinions
What the community says about West Side Story
- "West Side Story is a classic for a reason, and if you're looking for a great love story, you still can't do better than this reworking of Romeo and Juliet set in 1960s New York. Maria makes a charming "Juliet," and her star-crossed love is sweet and tragic. There are also some entertaining musical numbers, particularly "America." A great tragic love story.""West Side Story is an awful movie. I guess there might be some who'd become interested in the love story in this movie, but I wasn't one of them. I thought the story was incomprehensible, and the love story in it specifically was so boring and corny that I never really believed it. "
- "If you are looking for a good Romantic movie you may want to watch west side story. This version is not the greatest production and could be of better quality. Overall this version could be priced better as well""If you ask anybody about musical movies that have romance, this movie is going to come up on that list. Fantastic story and well executed with an amazing soundtrack!"
- "Being an avid Shakespeare reader, I was told that West Side Story is based off Romeo and Juliet tragedy. So I watched this music. Opening scene was around 5 mins so I was still able to grab some snacks. I like the romance without being too cheesy. I really enjoyed the well-choreograph dancing. Even the fight scenes looked more like dancing than brawl. Very good movie!"
- "West Side Story is just one of those classic movies that everyone needs to watch. It is loosely based on William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. In this adaptation you have two rivals gangs The Sharks and The Jets and how one boy Tony (former Jet) falls in love with a girl named Maria (the sister of a Shark). This movie also touches on race issues which seems so relevant in today's world. The music is what sets this apart from other Romeo and Juliet type movies. It is a must watch movie!"
- "West Side Story is a good adaptation of the musical of the same name. The actors do a solid job with the material, and the musical translates the New York setting well to the big screen. In hindsight, the casting of Natalie Wood to play a Puerto Rican character doesn't age terribly well, but the movie is bright, entertaining, and emotional, engaging the audience in the characters' hopes and tragedy. ""There aren't many musicals that are more well-known than West Side Story, and you'd know why if you'd watched it. It's a classic, a real American masterpiece. The music is classic, and wow is the choreography something else. It's unforgettable, there isn't a movie where the dancing plays such an important role. It's the perfect Broadway musical."
- "West Side Story is a good musical, but I think it's an exaggeration to call it one of the best movies of all time. It has entertaining songs and engaging acting, but it's a fairly standard adaptation of a Broadway musical, and doesn't break a lot of new ground. You won't regret watching this movie, but I can't honestly describe it as one of the best movies of all time. ""West Side Story is a pretty good movie, but it's not one of the best. It's popular, but it's ccertainly not a better film than the likes of Citizen Kane or anything. Maybe I just don't like musicals very much, but I don't know anyone who'd say it was one of the best movies ever made. Honestly, I think it's pretty boring."
- "As a kid, I hated it when parents relatives and schools tried to force me to watch musicals. I never enjoyed them with the notable exception of west side story. Great plot line and characters, the sotry and ending had me interest even as a 12 yeard old. Classic movie which I will still watch to this day."